Amendment aims to increase student representation

After being passed by Student Union Senate and Treasury, a constitutional amendment that aims to improve student representation in Treasury now awaits the student body’s vote.

The amendment would reserve a seat for the student from each school who received the highest number of votes. If no students from a particular school were on the ballot, a student from that school could secure a seat by garnering 75 write-in votes. Otherwise, the seat would go to the student who received the most votes regardless of school, as is the current Treasury procedure.

Senior Michele Hall, the former Treasury member who wrote the amendment, said it is intended to help students from smaller schools such as Art, Architecture and Engineering participate in Treasury if they are interested.

“I really wanted to increase the diversity of Treasury, and this [amendment] was one of the more equitable ways to do that,” Hall said.

Hall also said that she hoped that an effect of the amendment would be to help remove stereotypes about the kind of students that are in Treasury.

“I hope it removes the stigma that there’s a certain type of student who belongs on Treasury,” Hall said. “It is going to take time for these stigmas to go away…SU will have to do a lot of recruitment, but you can’t do that recruitment without the amendment.”

In addition to Senate and Treasury, senior and Student Union President Matt Re voiced his support for the amendment.

“Myself and the rest of [Student Union] exec council are in support of the amendment because it opens up the possibility for students from not-as-large schools to be on Treasury,” Re said.

He added that the amendment would make it easier for SU to encourage students in smaller colleges such as Art or Architecture to run for Treasury as there would be a seat specifically designated for a representative from that school.

“In terms of a recruitment perspective, it’s a really powerful thing for me,” Re said. “It’s a way for us to say, ‘Hey, look, your voice is important on Treasury.’”