Treasury funds shuttle to play, Trans Week, speakers, debate team

Richard Matus | Contributing Reporter

They were born twelve years apart and had nothing but everything in common.

A 14-year-old boy from Chicago had nothing in common with an optimistic 15-year-old girl from Germany until two men beat him, gouged out his eyes, shot him and dumped his corpse in a river because he was black. The optimistic 15-year-old girl from Germany had nothing in common with a 14-year-old boy from Chicago until uniformed police arrested her and sent her to a concentration camp to die of typhus because she was Jewish. The boy and the girl had nothing and everything in common, and in Cohen’s play, they finally meet.

Student Union Treasury voted unanimously to fund the Association of Black Students and the Jewish Student Union (JSU) to purchase 100 tickets to the Black Rep’s performance of “Anne and Emmett” later this month.

Appealing to SU Treasury at its weekly meeting Tuesday, junior and JSU member Ari Rosenstrauch noted the social and cultural importance of a play like “Anne and Emmett.”

“It’s important to highlight the dangers of hatred and intolerance,” Rosenstrauch said. “It’s something that’s not brought to the forefront very often, despite the hate crimes going on.”

SU Treasury voted to fund all five appeals it heard at its meeting, with the largest allocation of $5,900 going to fund Pride Alliance’s Trans Awareness week from Nov. 12-18. The funds will be used to hold training sessions and generally raise awareness about modern transsexual issues.

As part of Trans Awareness Week, SU Treasury funded to bring musicians Chris Burns and D’Lo to speak and perform on campus.

Senior Ashley Fox, vice president of the Association of Black Students, which is collaborating with Pride Alliance for Trans Week, said the groups chose to pursue both musicians to draw in different crowds for their respective events.

“Chris Burns may appeal to student leaders who could then go back and talk to their general bodies. But I know D’Lo is known within the black community so this is someone that would appeal to ABS,” Fox said.

The debate team also appealed to SU Treasury for additional funding after attending its first tournament of the year earlier in the semester.

While the group appealed for $17,640, SU Treasury ended up funding it $2,400. Some Treasury representatives expressed frustration with student-calculated figures they considered disorganized and over-inflated, but the team’s coach returned with refined cost estimates and a set number of debaters that would attend each tournament.

Their appeal included funding for one policy debate tournament, a different style than the parliamentary debate the team normally competes in.

Parliamentary date is an impromptu-style debate, where resolutions change in each round, while policy debate is a more classical style of debate, where each side offers constructive speeches and rebuttals through multiple rounds.

“If we care about training the debaters here at Wash. U., we should train them in the best format there is,” head coach Clifford Chad Henson said. “That’s [national policy debate], that’s the best in the world and that’s the kind of debate Wash. U. deserves.”

SU Treasury also funded conference fees for members of Net Impact, a sustainability-focused business school organization. Members currently paying out-of-pocket will receive travel and lodging funding for the annual Net Impact Conference.

Austin Spurlock, a junior and member of Net Impact who will be returning to the conference this year, explained how it might more broadly impact the University with new ideas and efforts toward sustainability.

“It helps us build our brainpower. There are over 80 companies represented, like the sustainability branch of Coca-Cola,” Spurlock said. “We take notes on every session we attend and we bring that back to our chapter.”

Treasury representative and junior Nicholas Brown supported the decision, citing the value that Net Impact adds to campus.

“Every single day almost I see these guys doing events in the business school, so I almost want to fund them for more. They’re branching it out to the [South] 40 with all these lamp posts and trash bins and things,” Brown said. “The value this group in particular brings reaches a huge audience.”