Dining services expands kosher lunch offerings in Bear’s Den

Dining Services will expand its kosher offerings to provide hot kosher lunch in Bear’s Den in response to student feedback.

Beginning Monday, Dec. 5, hot lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Thursday and from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Fridays at the L’Chaim station in Bear’s Den.

Danforth Campus Dining Services Manager Paul Schimmele noted that increasing kosher options is important in creating an inclusive, welcoming environment on campus.

“If we don’t have kosher food available or halal food available, it makes it difficult for part of our community,” Schimmele said. “It’s important to us that people are able to explore their own identity and fulfill that if there are needs within that. It’s critical.”

As Dining Services doesn’t have the ability to communicate with the student body via mass email campaigns, it uses alternate channels of communication—such as digital menu boards in Bear’s Den and its Facebook page—in order to reach students.

In addition to the new meal options, Dining Services will also place an iPad at the L’Chaim station with a five question survey about kosher food as a new method of collecting and continuing student feedback.

“We’ve never done anything like this before,” Kristi Baker, dining services marketing manager, said. “If that’s successful, we may do that type of thing at other stations for other kinds of issues.”

Schimmele added that Dining Services may explore the addition of a hot kosher breakfast option in the spring semester should the new lunch offerings see success.

“I’ve been encouraged by upper administration and our partners with Bon Appetit that we will continue to explore the options. We’ll try as best we can to meet the demand,” Schimmele said.