St. Louis location IKEA coming in fall 2015

Courtesy of Joseph Roth

An architectural rendering demonstrates the proposed St. Louis IKEA location. The store will be located off I-64 in Midtown.

With its vast selection of inexpensive, unassembled furniture and iconic Swedish meatballs, IKEA will soon be coming to St. Louis.

The famous Scandinavian furniture store announced Wednesday that its 40th store in the United States, and its first in Missouri, will be coming to the area in the fall of 2015. It will be located off I-64 about one mile east of Barnes-Jewish Hospital in Midtown.

Promising work for at least 500 construction employees and offering about 300 sales positions, the company plans to join in continued efforts to bring research, business and industry to the area referred to as the Cortex Innovation Community.

“Everyone is thrilled that we can be a catalyst to support further economic development in this area,” company spokesperson Joseph Roth said. “I think they recognize they need something to draw customers from beyond the local area.”

“We do not open new stores very often, and we don’t do it everywhere,” Roth added. “It was an exciting opportunity we thought was too good to pass up.”

Roth said the location offers prime downtown real estate—about 21 acres of land near the intersection of four major interstates. The company is currently building two new retail stores, one in Kansas near Kansas City and another in Miami.

The company expects to get all the approvals it needs within six months so it can demolish the structures currently occupying the property and begin construction next summer, Roth said.

When complete, the store will offer the same menu and furniture selection as any other franchise location worldwide.

Students are generally enthusiastic about the major retailer coming to the area, noting that it will provide a valuable option for students looking to furnish their dorms or apartments at manageable cost.

“I love IKEA and am so excited about their coming to St. Louis,” junior Jocelyn Runice said. “They cater very well to the college student budget by having products that last pretty well for four years for a good price. I will definitely go there for future furniture purchases.”

“Their furniture and dorm room decorations are both trendy and affordable,” senior Sarah Jacobs added. “Also, their Swedish meatballs are fantastic.”

With additional reporting by Sahil Patel and Becky Prager.