Carnahan will not run for office in 2012, to work in private sector

Secretary of State Robin Carnahan, D-Mo., has announced that she will not be running for re-election in 2012.Courtesy of MO.GOV

Secretary of State Robin Carnahan, D-Mo., has announced that she will not be running for re-election in 2012.

Secretary of State Robin Carnahan, D-Mo., announced she would not seek re-election on Sept. 30, leaving her seat open for the 2012 election.

Carnahan, sister of Rep. Russ Carnahan, and daughter of former senators Mel and Jean Carnahan, was elected to the post in 2004 and re-elected in 2008. She ran for the United States Senate in 2010 but lost to republican Roy Blunt by 14 points.

Although the Secretary of State position does not have term limits, Carnahan decided to return to working in the private sector. In a statement released on her website, she cited her father’s work outside of state politics as an inspiration for her stepping down.

“I watched as my father…served on church boards, the local school board and helped the Red Cross and countless other causes—every day committed to helping a neighbor and making the community better. Dad always thought his experience as a private citizen helped make him a more effective public servant and a better governor,” she said in the statement.

Carnahan said that while she has chosen not to run for re-election, she is proud of her accomplishments—which, she noted, include digitizing Missouri’s historical resources, protecting voter rights, helping victims recover $10 billion in consumer fraud and reducing red tape for small businesses.

Junior Sherveen Mashayekhi, president of the College Democrats, said he had hoped Carnahan would run again, given her political history.

“We are disappointed with her decision not to run, because she is a candidate we have supported in the past,” Mashayekhi said. “We are sure that she will throw her hat back into public office eventually.”

Mashayekhi added that holding onto all state democrat seats is especially important in light of the Republican Party’s national gains in the 2010 midterm elections. He said that the College Democrats plan on supporting every democrat who runs in 2012—especially Carnahan’s brother Russ, who narrowly won re-election over Ed Martin 2010.

“We have supported Russ Carnahan in the past and really like his stance on a lot of issues,” Mashayekhi said. “We are looking to see what he does, especially after the gerrymandering of the district.”

Mashayekhi offered his opinion on which candidate the College Democrats would support.

“We will be supporting the democratic candidates that end up running, and we will support any candidate that reaches out to us for support,” he said.

While Robin Carnahan may not be on the 2012 ballot, she ended her statement by saying that she plans to continue being involved.

“I plan to stay engaged and involved,” Carnahan said in the statement. “For me, that could include running for elected office again, but it will certainly mean speaking out and working hard for the values we share and the candidates who stand up for them.”