Clayton police continue investigation into last week’s alleged on-campus sexual assault

Clayton police are continuing to investigate an alleged sexual assault that took place last week on the intramural athletic fields by the South 40.

According to the Washington University Police Department’s crime log, a female student reported being assaulted by a man she met at a downtown St. Louis venue around 1:50 a.m. on Oct. 6. WUPD detained a suspect shortly after the report, and the student identified him as being involved.

However, because the alleged assailant was unaffiliated with the University, the investigation was turned over to Clayton police.

Cpl. Casey Devorss with the Clayton Police Department said the city’s detective unit is investigating the crime but was unable to provide further comment because the investigation is ongoing.

Jill Friedman, vice chancellor for public affairs, said the investigation is being handled and that the University’s role now is to offer support to the student. She said the victim was immediately given medical care and access to other University resources at her discretion.

“We’ve got a number of ways in which we have offered support to her as a victim, as a student and as a member of our community,” Friedman said.

Chief of Police Don Strom could not be reached for comment.