U. City investigation uncovers few details on alleged gunshots north of Loop

Leah Kucera | Student Life

Two squad cars wait in the alley between Westgate Ave. and Interdrive as part of an ongoing investigation into alleged gunshots fired in the area. The incident, which neighbors say occurred shortly before 9 p.m., involved approximately 10 gunshots in two bursts.

UPDATE [3:00 p.m. 9/30]: Capt. Michael Ransom of the University City Police Department said officers were on normal patrol in the area when they heard what they believed to be gunshots.

They found no victims or damaged property but did find a few shell cases.

“They talked to people in the area–no one actually saw anybody shooting,” Ransom said. “[But] it appears someone did shoot.”

He said the investigation remains open as University City police continue to talk with members of the neighborhood to piece together what happened.

If you have any information regarding the incident or saw it occur, please email news@studlife.com.

ORIGINAL STORY [1:23 a.m. 9/30]: University City police are investigating about 10 gunshots allegedly fired by the corner of Interdrive and Clemens Avenue Sunday evening.

Police would not comment on the ongoing investigation, but nearby residents said the shots were fired in two bursts just before 9 p.m.

Several University City officers were searching the alley between Westgate Avenue and Interdrive with flashlights until about 11:10 p.m.

“We couldn’t confirm there were gunshots, but I don’t know what else they could be. That was the first and only thing that came to my mind,” senior Jake Lichtenfeld, who lives on the 700 block of Interdrive, said. “I didn’t hear any screaming or voices or anything. We were watching ‘Breaking Bad.’”

Two other students also in the neighborhood confirmed about ten shots were fired, but neither saw the incident occur.

“It’s an open investigation,” Sgt. Shawn Whitley from the University City Police Department said.

Check studlife.com for continued coverage as more information becomes available.

• Person

Holy cow, guys. I love on Eastgate Ave. I heard gunshots all the time. It’s not as bad now as it was last August, when they were happening weekly. I never thought to report it because at first it was like, “Welcome to St. Louis” and then it became, “Whatever, gunshots, another day.” They come from the North and the East. There has only been on occasion where it was really close, about seven months ago, and I hit the floor for fear of a misdirected bullet. I didn’t call that in, either, and never saw anything about it written up. I guess people are freaking out now because it was by the university?

Honestly, housing needs to admit this area is NOT safe to live in. When I moved here, I was told, “It’s safe, I’d live here.” They told me to check the crime stats online, on the STLMPD’s website. Sure, it does look great there, but that’s because UNIVERSITY CITY’S CRIMES are not marked on that map, that is STRICTLY the city of St. Louis. Quadrangle is the equivalent of a used car salesman and they should feel horrible about what they’re doing. The only OK thing about this area is that there are police everywhere, not that they stop every rape, murder, and mugging that happens, because they don’t. And Quadrangle with their silly, “No weapons” policy bars me from so much as keeping a billy club by my bed. Seriously, screw you, Quadrangle. I came here to learn and rented close to school in an overpriced area because you promised safety.

• john smith
  • WUSTL Psych

This is why WashU needs to revise its idiotic “dangerous weapons in reslife buildings” policy. No firearms, maybe, but there’s still a wide array of useful defensive options out there.