Wash. U. professor wins $32k over two days on ‘Jeopardy!’

[UPDATE: 11:20 p.m. Jan. 28] Professor Julie Singer took second place on “Jeopardy!” Tuesday, eliminating her from the competition but adding $2,000 to her total winnings over her two-day stint on the game show.

Singer, who teaches French at Washington University, won $30,000 on Monday for the episode she actually filmed last November.

[ORIGINAL POST:] What is Chancellor of the Exchequer?

Correctly naming the British government office named for “a tablecloth imprinted with squares that was once used as an abacus,” Julie Singer, assistant professor of French at Washington University, sealed her victory in “Jeopardy!” Monday night.

Defeating two-day champ Chip Bell and Bill Hammon (who was stumped and simply wrote down “What is Mankini?”), she won $30,000 on Monday and will be back on the show tonight at 4:30 on Channel 5, KSDK.

Singer filmed her episodes in November after taking an online test about a year ago, interviewing in person and being selected. She hasn’t watched “Jeopardy!” since she was a child—nor did she watch last night’s episode—but her husband convinced her to take the test, and she scored high enough to move forward in the show.

“It was fun. It was more nerve-wrecking than I expected it to be,” Singer said. “The other contestants were really nice, and having the chance to meet them was probably the best part of the whole thing.”

“Jeopardy!” contestants are not allowed to tell people about how they fare on the show before their episodes air, but Singer said that wasn’t hard because she didn’t want people to watch. Still, she noted that she’s been contacted by college friends she hasn’t spoken with in years and one older man who found her Washington University email address and told her, “I wish I knew you 50 years ago.”

She said that while she enjoyed getting the chance to do something many people only dream about, it’s already in the past. And she will probably be too busy to watch tonight’s episode when it airs.

“I have classes to teach and a baby to take care of,” she said. “It’s something really fun that I did, but it’s easy not to let it take over my life because I’ve got [lots] to do right now.”

She said she will receive her winnings six months after her episodes air.

1 Comment Add your comment