Mark Taylor to serve as new dean of Olin Business School

| Breaking News Editor

Mark Taylor, current dean of the Warwick Business School at the University of Warwick in the United Kingdom, will serve as dean of the Olin Business School beginning this fall, Washington University announced today.

Taylor will replace current Olin Business School dean Mahendra Gupta—who steps down on June 30—and will assume leadership after Nov. 30, with Senior Associate Dean Kurt Dirks serving as dean in the interim.

In his time at Warwick, Taylor built several international partnerships, including those with Peking University’s Guanghua School of Management, the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business and the University of Cape Town School of Business. Taylor’s international experience was among the reasons the University decided to bring him on as Olin Business School ’s new dean.

“In Mark Taylor we have found a strong leader with the vision, wisdom and experience to take Olin Business School to new heights,” Chancellor Mark Wrighton said in the University’s announcement. “He is well-qualified not only as a scholar, but also as a practitioner in global business and finance. I have no doubt he will strengthen Olin’s presence and reputation in the domestic and international arenas.”

The Institute for Scientific Information has recognized Taylor, who is also a professor of international finance at Warwick, as a “highly cited researcher”—meaning he is among the most frequently cited researchers in his fields of international finance and economics. He also serves as the editor-in-chief of the Applied Economics and Applied Economics Letters journals.

Taylor holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Oxford in politics, philosophy and economics, in addition to master’s and doctorate degrees from the University of London’s Birkbeck College, University College London and Liverpool University.

Before becoming dean of Warwick in 2010, he served as a senior economist at the International Monetary Fund for five years. He also worked as a managing director of a large global macro investment fund with BlackRock Financial for four years and has held professorships at several universities, including the Cass Business School in London and Liverpool University.