Luxury student apartment building set to open in August

A new luxury student housing complex—complete with a rooftop pool and a yoga studio—will open on the east end of the Delmar Loop just prior to the start of the fall 2017 semester.

Although the building, called Everly on the Loop, currently consists of steel bars and pipes, leasing is already underway, with future residents selecting their apartments of choice from a rendering.

Architectural renderings show a rooftop multipurpose space in the Everly on the Loop apartment complex, which is set to open in the fall of 2017. The development,built by Clayco Corp., will also feature a gated parking garage and group study spaces. Courtesy of Hallie Groff

Architectural renderings show a rooftop multipurpose space in the Everly on the Loop apartment complex, which is set to open in the fall of 2017. The development,built by Clayco Corp., will also feature a gated parking garage and group study spaces.

While not managed by the Office of Residential Life, Clayco Corp., who is building Everly and is also responsible for on-campus projects like Brauer Hall and the Umrath House expansion, is communicating with Washington University throughout the $66 million construction process.

70 percent of students live in ResLife housing, but for the 30 percent of students who live elsewhere, Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Rob Wild said, an apartment complex on the Loop will benefit students and the University itself.

“In the big picture, any private housing development for students on the Loop is a good thing,” Wild said. “A private development like this—especially one that seems to have all these amenities—is, I think, a great thing for the Loop and for the University.”

Everly on the Loop, which leasing manager Amanda Barth said provides “a little more freedom” than student housing, boasts in-apartment features like walk-in closets, individual bathrooms and granite countertops. The property also includes a gated parking garage, individual and group study rooms and free printing, and a shuttle that runs to and from the Danforth Campus.

First-year MBA student Hallie Groff, who is interning with Everly, noted that the apartments are nicer than typical student housing, particularly when compared with some of the off-campus apartments students might rent out.

“The apartments are going to be really upscale, especially compared to a lot of places where students live now,” Groff said. “It’s definitely nicer than any place I lived in college.”

Students who live in the Everly on the Loop apartments will have access to various studying and social spaces, as well as a rooftop pool, as part of the amenities offered. A shuttle service to and from campus is planned.Courtesy of Hallie Groff

Students who live in the Everly on the Loop apartments will have access to various studying and social spaces, as well as
a rooftop pool, as part of the amenities offered. A shuttle service to and from campus is planned.

While students might expect to pay more for Everly on the Loop’s perks, a standard three-bedroom, three-bath apartment, which goes for $960 a month, costs less than a two- or three-bedroom Lofts apartment through ResLife, priced at $6,250 per semester. However, one-bedroom, one-bath Everly apartments do come at a premium, and residents can pay extra for luxuries like door-to-door package delivery and Bluetooth shower speakers.

Although the new apartment complex, located less than half a mile from the Lofts, advertises the same proximity to campus and urban-style living as the ResLife-managed housing option, Wild noted that the University plans to expand the Lofts at the site where the University Terrace apartments currently stand. However, this project has been delayed for now.

“That’s going to be about 150-200 beds off campus, and we’re just delaying the planning for that site at the present time,” Wild said.