Renovation begins on Jolley Hall

Amelia Ma | Contributing Reporter

Washington University has stepped up renovations of engineering building Jolley Hall, which will lead to restricted access to the building until May 2016.

Originally completed in June 1990, Jolley Hall houses the Department of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science (MEMS), but almost half of the MEMS labs and offices have already moved to nearby engineering buildings such as Bryan Hall due to construction.

Connected Bryan and Jolley Halls sit along the overpass connecting Danforth Campus and the Delmar Loop.Stephen Huber | Student Life

Connected Bryan and Jolley Halls sit along the overpass connecting Danforth Campus and the Delmar Loop.

During winter break and through the following semester the construction activity will become more intense and entrances more restricted, with the stairs connecting Jolley and Urbauer Hall already closed off.

Among the planned renovations are the demolition of the first floor stairs and the removal of tile flooring throughout the building.

In an email to all engineering students, Director of Facilities Planning & Management of the School of Engineering & Applied Science Mike Altepeter said the school will be more than willing to accommodate students who feel disrupted by the construction.

“The school is keenly aware of the challenges that the renovations in Jolley are causing and is anxious to help alleviate any problems that may arise,” Altepeter wrote.

Many engineering students, such as graduate engineering student Matt Beary, are looking forward to the renovations of the old building.

“I think what they’re doing to the Jolley Hall right now is probably the same as what they did to Lopata. To make it fancier,” Beary said.

Others find the construction inconvenient, but look forward to the project’s completion.

“It might be a little bit inconvenient but not a big deal. Seems to me the biggest problem is that the winter is so cold and we can’t just walk through the buildings,” sophomore engineer Ben Bush said.