Olin extends 24-hour service to five days a week

Based on the results of its pilot program from last year, Olin Library will now be open 24 hours a day for five days a week instead of four.

Student feedback led the library to test out 24/4 hours from 10 a.m. Sunday morning to 2 a.m. Friday morning last year. At the time, the library indicated that the extended hours would only be continued if students were making use of them.

But due to the success of the pilot, Olin staff decided to add an additional night.

“During that trial period, we basically gathered data through headcounts during the overnight hours, and what we found is that students were using the library at all hours of the night,” Sarah Laaker, a circulation librarian in charge of last year’s pilot, said.

AlliedBarton Security Services, the company that is contracted to patrol the library during late-night hours, counted 9,737 students making use of the extended hours in the fall 2012 semester, though that number includes people who visited the library multiple times.

aAlthough the library is available to students at any point during the new hours, the help desk and circulation desk close by 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday. Data collected by Olin indicated that students did not make use of those resources in later hours.

“Most of the checkout activity in the library was really dying down by late at night,” Laaker said. “Once we got into later hours…people were generally using the library for studying purposes, not so much to check out material or to ask questions of the library staff.”