University boosts hours of off-campus shuttle

Students board the Campus2Home shuttle late Tuesday night. Operating hours of the service have been expanded to 6 p.m.—4 a.m.Matt Mitgang | Student Life

Students board the Campus2Home shuttle late Tuesday night. Operating hours of the service have been expanded to 6 p.m.—4 p.m.

Campus2Home shuttle service now begins earlier and ends later to accommodate students whose activities put them on campus after dark.

Starting Monday, the shuttle began nightly service at 6 p.m. and made its last trip at 4 a.m. Prior to the change, the hours were 7 p.m. to 2:30 a.m.

The Campus2Home vans provide a safe ride home from the Danforth Campus for those who live in four off-campus areas: Skinker-DeBaliviere, Loop South, north of the Loop and south of campus.

“We determined that we would try the earlier hour, especially during daylight savings time to account for the fact that it’s getting darker earlier,” said Nick Stoff, director of Parking and Transportation Services. “In part, the later hours were to assist with grad students who, as we all know, do not always have prime time for research and their work on campus, which typically happens later in the evening.”

The decision was made by a committee created to evaluate the program. This committee consists of Stoff, Associate Vice Chancellor for Operations Steve Hoffner, Police Chief Don Strom, faculty, staff and undergraduate and graduate students.

According to Stoff, these new hours are temporary, and the committee will re-evaluate the program over spring break. The expansion of the shuttle service hours should not make the program more expensive because summertime and holiday schedule adjustments will compensate for the added hours of operation.

“I think it will be more convenient,” junior Hillary Black said. “I definitely do think that [the shuttle] is very good since I am on campus until very late almost every night and use the shuttle mostly after midnight or 1 a.m.”

In October, approximately six to seven people used the Campus2Home shuttle each hour after 1 a.m.

“We’re not sure what the usage will be, [but] there were certainly some requests for it,” Stoff said. “It fluctuates depending on what time of the year and how close we are to finals. We will continue to monitor the ridership.”

The shuttle leaves from Mallinckrodt Center every 30 minutes and makes a stop at the Brookings Drive steps. Campus2Home takes passengers the front doors of their buildings, and the shuttle driver waits for the passengers to enter their buildings safely.

• Urban Safety Solutions

Valuable service that students should keep in mind is available.