Facilities and Construction

‘We have lost a significant part of the student experience on campus’: LNYF pushes forward despite Gargoyle setback

The annual Lunar New Year Festival performance will kick off Feb. 7 and 8, marking the group’s first set of shows since the loss of the Gargoyle rehearsal space.

Subway vs. Panera: Dining services weighs restaurant change

Washington University administrators invited students to share their ideas about plans for the dining location in Mallinckrodt Center that is currently occupied by Subway, Nov. 22.

Issues with Village House plumbing resolved after third flooding incident

After three separate instances of flooding in Village House this semester, Washington University administrators are now confident that the issue is resolved.

Sam Fox students react to Etta’s cafe closing

The new dining arrangement for the East End of campus elicited mixed reactions from students as Parkside Cafe at Schnucks Pavilion opened and the beloved Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts café, Etta’s, was shuttered.

Elizabeth Phelan | Staff Reporter

Kemper Museum reopens with Ai Weiwei’s ‘Bare Life’ exhibition

The Kemper Art Museum celebrated reopening its doors with a special exhibition by contemporary Chinese artist and activist Ai Weiwei Sept. 28.

| Senior Editor

‘The show will go on’: Update on Gargoyle removal dispute

Space availability problems persist for student groups following Washington University’s spring 2019 decision to convert the Gargoyle and Mallinckrodt 100A into offices.

Yifei Qin | Contributing Reporter

CDI, Gephardt, OISS move office spaces

The Center for Diversity and Inclusion, the Gephardt Institute for Civic and Community Engagement and the Office for International Students and Scholars relocated their office spaces over summer break. The offices moved to better serve students, meet the needs of each office and to provide additional space for the offices’ growth.

Noah Slaughter | Staff Reporter

Sam Fox to open new building, re-open Kemper Art Museum for fall 2019

The Sam Fox School of Design and Visual Arts will re-open the Kemper Art Museum and open a new building for the 2019-2020 academic year Sept. 28.

Construction update: East End completion still on track

East End construction is on schedule for completion. University Architect James Kolker said that building occupants will be able to move into their new offices over the summer. Construction on McKelvey Hall, the new computer science and engineering building, will continue into fall 2020.

Merry May Ma | Contributing Reporter

Student groups, administration discuss next moves in Gargoyle, Mallinckrodt 100A removals dispute

Student groups strongly opposed the transition as they view the spaces as essential to their operations, after it was first announced to them March 7. Groups tried to convince the administration to reverse its decision, but after they learned it was final, they are now putting pressure on the administration to change the way it communicates with student groups.

Curran Neenan | News Editor