Idea pitch competition and music festival RECESS coming April 7

and | Staff Reporters

Social Programming Board and the Olin Business Council are partnering with RECESS, a traveling music and ideas festival, to give students the chance to pitch start-up plans for a chance to win a cash prize, as well as a trip to Los Angeles that includes the opportunity to pitch their ideas to venture capitalists and investors.

RECESS will come to campus on April 7 and host a Campus Qualifier Pitch event, as part of the group’s “March Madness”-style spring Pitch Competition. The group will visit 18 colleges and universities in six different cities for the first round of the competition.

WU students must apply by March 28 to be selected to pitch their idea. The top 5 teams will be selected to present to a panel of judges on campus in April. The winners from each of the 18 Campus Qualifiers will advance to the Pitch Regional Semifinals at The Pageant on the Delmar Loop on April 26. This event will also include a free concert by rapper Tory Lanez.

The winner of the semifinals will join the finalists from other regions for the RECESS Field Trip in Los Angeles in June during which students will be able to pitch their ideas to venture capitalists and investors—as well as have the chance to win $250,000.

Rahool Bhimani, junior and president of Social Programming board, noted that his organization will be working with other student groups to try to make the event a success.

“This is a great way for SPB to branch out and work with other student groups on campus, a goal of mine ever since the start of my term as SPB president,” he said.

Jimmy Soldati, junior and president of the Olin Business Council, added that the event matches well with existing dynamics on campus.

“The event naturally aligns with the entrepreneurial spirit in the Olin Business School,” he said. “Based on feedback from the Skandalaris Center and other business organizations on campus, we expect many teams to apply.”