Career fair to span 2 days, feature 130 employers

Alberto Farino | Contributing Reporter

The Danforth Campus will be suited up for two days as over 130 employers attend the Fall Career Fair, which will take place on both Sept. 17 and 18 at the Mallinckrodt Center.

In past years, the Fall Internship & Job Career Fair has been one day, but this year, the Career Center is making the fair a two-day event.  Students can speak with employers in Mallinckrodt Center on September 17th and 18th.Katie Ehrlich | Student Life

In past years, the Fall Internship & Job Career Fair has been one day, but this year, the Career Center is making the fair a two-day event. Students can speak with employers in Mallinckrodt Center on September 17th and 18th.

The fair, which was previously one day, was expanded because the Career Center wanted to allow more employers to participate in the limited space offered by the Gargoyle.

Each day will have a different lineup of employers. On Thursday, Sept. 17, 69 employers are confirmed to attend from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. The following day, the fair runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. with 68 organizations attending. This is an increase from last year’s fall fair, which saw about 77 companies participating in the event.

Due to its location change from the Francis Gymnasium to the Mallinckrodt Center, last year’s fair shrunk to about half its usual numbers. This year, however, the Center decided to expand the fair to two days to accommodate more employers in addition to hosting week-long events leading up to the fair.

“The whole week has various programming for other opportunities for the students to engage,” Jenny Marchal, Associate Director at the Career Center, said. “It’s a great way for students to meet recruiters at different organizations.”

In preparation to the fair, the Career Center will be offering different resources such as information sessions, workshops, and quick advising. Career Center staff will also be available to review students’ resumes ahead of the career fair.

CareerFair2Stephen Huber | Student Life

A new feature that will be implemented this year is the addition of flags on each booth signaling whether that employer is hiring interns or full-time workers, as well as international or graduate students.

“In the past [students] have waited in the long line, and they’ve gotten up there, and they realize that person doesn’t have opportunities like [they] thought they did,” Marchal said, “so now they’ll be able to see that.”

The full list of employers attending this year’s fair, which is co-sponsored by the National Society of Black Engineers, is listed on the Career Center’s website and ranges from corporations to nonprofit organizations.

Marchal hopes that students take advantage and come prepared to the fair, suit and resume ready to go.

“The best thing for students to do is to take time and look at all the organizations that are coming and do a little bit of homework to figure out who they might be interested in,” Marchal said. “Once you get there, there’s going to be a lot of movement and a lot of people.”