Mike Birbiglia, Judah Friedlander to headline SPB spring comedy show

Courtesy of Social Programming Board

Actors Mike Birbiglia and Judah Friedlander will perform at Washington University this spring, Social Programming Board announced Wednesday night.

The show will take place on March 5 at 6:30 p.m. in Edison Theatre, and doors will open at 6 p.m. Sean O’Brien, a local comedian and friend of Birbiglia, will open the show. Birbiglia will take the stage after him, and Friedlander will close the show.

The SPB Spring Comedy Show will be the first to feature more than one headliner. The two comedians were chosen for the diverse audience the combination would attract.

Birbiglia is best-known for his role as producer and starring actor in the one-man show “Sleepwalk with Me,” which was subsequently transformed into a feature film following the show’s critical success. The movie won the Best of NEXT Award at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival, and Birbiglia’s role in the film garnered him a nomination for the Breakthrough Actor award.

Birbiglia is also a contributor on “This American Life,” a public radio series with 500 episodes about American culture. He has appeared in five programs thus far.

Friedlander, well-known for his role as Frank Rossitano on “30 Rock,” is a stand-up comic by trade. He even continued to perform his standup routine while shooting for “30 Rock” in New York.

Friedlander is also well-known for his appearance: long hair, T-shirt and a trucker hat with a short slogan on the front. He told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review in 2007 that he makes his own hats and has been doing so for over a decade.

Friedlander has played roles in several feature films, including “Zoolander,” “Meet the Parents” and “Along Came Polly.”

Please see Thursday’s issue of Student Life for the full story.

• Avinash says:

finally found the ones i was originally lnoikog for Exodus 35:2 “On six days work may be done, but the seventh day shall be sacred to you as the sabbath of complete rest to the LORD. Anyone who does work on that day shall be put to death.” Leviticus 11 7and the pig, which does indeed have hoofs and is cloven-footed, but does not chew the cud and is therefore unclean for you. 8Their flesh you shall not eat, and their dead bodies you shall not touch; they are unclean for you.

• satisfied says:

i agree with unsatisfied but also remember that like 80% of the comedy world is white men. it’s not a good thing but is very true. so like if 18 of the top 20 comedians are white men, i’d rather they bring one of those top 20 than someone less appealing but more diverse.

• unsatisfied says:

yep, the problem of underrepresentation is not the fault of washu groups. and I don’t think that they should necessarily pass on a much-bigger name when given the chance, considering their responsibility to the student body. but the problem exists and I wonder how we, as students and people in general, can work toward change.

• unsatisfied says:

i’m glad spb is concerned with attracting a diverse audience, but how about a diverse lineup? 3 white dudes. to my memory all the spb/cpc comedy committees have ever brought is white men.

• unsatisfied says:

(this is not to say that they don’t bring great comedians, because they do. it’s just frustrating to see the cycle of disrespect for female comedians in the wider world.)