CollegeHumor writer mocks Graham Chapel

Kastyn Matheny | Student Life

Steve Hofstetter, former writer for the popular site CollegeHumor, appears showing off some ginger-themed merchandise.

The original CollegeHumor.com columnist held nothing back in his comedy show Wednesday night at Graham Chapel, using the ironic venue as a supplement to his controversial act.

Steve Hofstetter, who has also written for Sports Illustrated and appeared on ESPN, mocked multiple social conservative and poked fun at the wealth of Washington University, among other topics, for over an hour in an event co-sponsored by the North Side Association and Junior Class Council.

Hofstetter opened his act by quipping, “It’s good to be here at Hogwarts.” He proceeded to criticize Graham Chapel for being too large of a venue and proclaiming that Anheuser-Busch runs the university. The joke about Anheuser-Busch resurfaced later, when Hofstetter argued that, due to its ties with an alcoholic beverage corporation, Wash. U. might be the only university to encourage underage drinking.

“Someone can drink themselves to death, and you’ll get a f—library,” Hofstetter said.

Hofstetter, a 33-year-old graduate of Columbia University who performs at over 100 college campuses every year, according to his website, talked about being teased as a child because of his red hair, which he traced to Viking ancestry. The mention of Vikings transitioned Hofstetter to a common topic of personal preference—sports. The comedian, who made his national television debut on ESPN’s Quite Frankly alongside Stephen A. Smith, took shots at Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for his two alleged sexual assaults before ridiculing a 2010 Super Bowl advertisement featuring then-University of Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, an icon for conservative Christians. The Focus on the Family commercial implies that Tebow would not have won the Heisman Trophy had he been aborted, which was a possibility during a difficult pregnancy.

Hofstetter played with Tebow’s assertion.

“Maybe one day an aborted fetus will grow up to win the Heisman Trophy,” he joked. “That would be a true underdog story.”

Hofstetter continued to ridicule pro-life beliefs before stopping himself.

“I don’t want to push people away by talking about abortion too much, but I’m in a church, so it’s f—ing fun,” he said.

Hofstetter moved quickly to another explosive social issue, gay marriage. lampooning the past summer’s Chick-fil-A scandal, when the fast food chain’s president, Dan Cathy, publicly opposed same-sex marriage.

“I don’t think the CEO of Chick-fil-A should be able to tell anyone where to stick their d—” Hofstetter said, before declaring that social conservatives persecute homosexual men more than women because of their enjoyment for lesbian pornography. The comedian then took a serious moment to say that he hopes we “are on the right side of history” with same-sex marriage.

Junior Eric McLean appreciated how Hofstetter adapted to his setting.

“One of the funniest parts was that he always related his jokes to the fact that he was in a church and that he really played off that fact,” McLean said.

The Israeli-Palestinian conflict, anti-immigration arguments and parents with too many kids were also targets of Hofstetter’s zingers before the show’s conclusion. He closed by allowing members of the audience to ask him questions, with one student inquiring about his strangest sex experience. The two students who asked questions received free CDs after the show.

Another student that attended the show, senior Eve Herold, liked that Hofstetter was unafraid to push the envelope.

Said Herold: “He was really honest, and he also incorporated current stuff with his jokes…It makes you slightly uncomfortable, but then you realize that’s actually really clever.”

• Peter M. Baroth

Sounds like fun.