Casual festival on Village Green welcomes fall

Becky Prager | STUDENT LIFE

Students enjoy the food at the North Side Association’s Fall Festival. The event was organized as a “chill event” for students to come and go.

Students heading back to the North Side through the cold weather Sunday afternoon were greeted by the sight of hot chocolate, apple cider and candy apples with warm, fresh caramel as part of the North Side Association’s Fall Festival.

The event, which was held on the Village Green and hosted by NSA’s social committee, featured apple and pumpkin pies, Halloween-themed candy and cookies, hot chocolate and apple cider, make-your-own caramel apples, music, and pumpkin carving and decorating.

The date for the festival was specifically chosen to coincide with Parents and Family Weekend, said junior Katie Gong, social committee chair.

“We wanted to have a laid-back event to celebrate fall on the North Side,” Gong said. “And students can stop by with their parents, since it’s Parents Weekend.”

Although the event was small and only a few students were there at a time, making a caramel apple or a cup of hot cocoa before heading back to their dorms, senior and NSA Speaker Jessica Goldberg explained that the festival was intended to be small and low-key, to make it easy for busy students to stop by.

“We like to do chill events on weekends,” Goldberg said. “It’s harder to facilitate community on the North Side, so events like this are good for that.”

Other students agreed that casual weekend events such as these are a good way to interact with the North Side community.

“It’s a great thing to come to on a Sunday afternoon when I’m not that busy,” senior Joshua Bridges said. “Free food, company…I love the apple cider.”

“I love when student groups do things to make me feel appreciated and part of the Wash. U. community,” senior Scott Zenker said.

Residential College Director for on-campus apartments and NSA co-advisor Nick Dietrich explained the importance of community-building aspects of events like Fall Festival.

“They’re cool because they try to provide upperclassmen on the North Side opportunities to build community and come to fun events targeted toward that specific population,” Dietrich said.

Although the cold, windy weather affected attendance at the event, NSA members were happy with how the festival turned out.

“It was successful because it met all of [our] goals and was the chill, laid-back event that we thought it would be,” said Gong. “The only problem was that it was the coldest day this week, and if it had been a little warmer like the rest of the days, we think it would have been more enjoyable.”

This was the NSA’s second annual fall festival, and Gong believes the NSA will hold the event again next year.