ThurtenE Carnival chooses St. Louis children’s charity

Members of the Chi Omega sorority and Beta Theta Pi fraternity work on their facade for this year’s ThurtenE Carnival. ThurteneE junior honorary, the group behind the carnival, has picked the Belle Center as its charity.John Hergenroeder | Student Life

Members of the Chi Omega sorority and Beta Theta Pi fraternity work on their facade for this year’s ThurtenE Carnival. ThurteneE junior honorary, the group behind the carnival, has picked the Belle Center as its charity.

ThurtenE honorary has decided to donate its proceeds from this weekend’s carnival to the Belle Center.

This charity assists children with developmental delays and disabilities, as well as their families. The center focuses on helping these children to be included in their home communities, according to its website.

“We picked the Belle Center this year because it benefits children with disabilities through inclusion to normal life,” said Ryan Dawson, president of ThurtenE honorary. “Their main goal is to include children with disabilities into normal children’s life, such as putting them in normal schools. They also teach parents and teachers how to help these children.”

According to Dawson, the honorary chooses to sponsor a charity based on how much it impacts the St. Louis community.

The Belle Center runs three programs: the Outreach Therapy Program, Center-Based Preschool Program and Families as Partners Program.

Washington University’s annual ThurtenE Carnival, the oldest and largest student-run carnival in the nation, will take place this weekend in front of Brookings Hall.

In addition to traditional fairground rides, the carnival will feature performances, facades and food booths that fraternities and sororities have spent months working on.

According to ThurtenE’s website, more than 50 groups, hundreds of students from Washington University and thousands of people from the greater St. Louis area will come together for the Carnival.

According to Dawson, there are six Greek Life teams that are currently working on constructing facades. Themes for the facades include a palace and a castle.

There will also be food and game booths and a rock wall provided by ROTC.

Many students remain undecided as to whether they will be attending the carnival. They say that carnival features including food and the plays are draws.

“I might go. If I go I’m looking forward toward the elephant ears—they taste really good,” junior Will Putnam said.

Others want to see the culmination of their friends’ work.

“I might go to see my friends in the sororities and the façades they built,” sophomore Lexi Millett said.

ThurtenE Carnival has operated all but one year since 1935.