Facebook post highlights concerns with mental health policy

Student Life Staff

Former Washington University student Amreet Mohanty’s post on the Washington University in St. Louis Class of 2015 Facebook group sparked discussion across campus about the state of the University’s mental health policy.

A former Washington University student’s public accusation of mental health mismanagement has sparked a campus dialogue on how the University handles psychological illness.

Amreet Mohanty was a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences struggling with social anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder when he sent an angry text message that he thinks the University interpreted as a threat. After the University intervened, Mohanty said he found himself victim to verbal abuse, was treated like a criminal and was ultimately forced to withdraw from the University.

Administrators were not able to comment on specific details of his story, posted on the “Washington University in St. Louis Class of 2015” Facebook group early Tuesday morning, because of privacy laws including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). The St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department was not immediately able to locate any record as to whether Mohanty had been detained or arrested as his Facebook post suggested.

But the accusation has brought to light widespread student concerns about the obstacles Washington University students face in mental health resources, particularly from the school’s administration.

Mohanty said his own situation spiraled to a point where he felt distrustful of administrators and University staff. He said he went public with his story because the entire situation left him feeling powerless to do anything.

“I felt ganged up upon,” Mohanty said. “I did not post publicly out of spite like I was mad—I just posted publicly because they weren’t responding to my emails and did not know what to do.”

“I expressed frustration through a text message which used language which was not appropriate on a college campus, and I take full responsibility for that,” he said. “The text wasn’t a threatening one. It was just me expressing my anger and frustration.”

Members of the varsity men’s tennis team, of which Mohanty was a part, were familiar with the situation but were instructed by administrators both in the spring and following Mohanty’s Facebook post to remain silent on the issue, one player told Student Life.

Mental health is a growing problem both on the Danforth Campus and at colleges nationally. In the past seven years, the number of students taking medical leaves from the University has more than doubled, though those numbers also reflect students who take leave for physical health reasons.

According to results from the American College Health Association’s National College Health Assessment, 12 percent of Washington University students have been diagnosed with depression within the last year, Alan Glass, director of the Habif Health and Wellness Center, said. The previous time the survey was distributed, in 2007, that number was around 5 percent.

Glass said those figures are in line with other schools nationally, and the increase is largely due to more conditions being treatable than in the past.

A greater source of concern for students, though, is how the school handles mental health issues when they do arise.

A junior who went to Student Health Services at the end of her sophomore year to get counseling on her issues with depression said that in the three sessions she attended, she would talk a majority of the time and receive little to no advice back on what to do.

“I don’t know if it’s a recurring theme that it’s more of a place to vent and get everything off of your chest rather than actually receive help, but from my experiences and my friends’ experiences, that’s what I’ve heard,” she said.

While in the beginning, she thought it was a product of the specific therapist she was working with, after hearing back from a number of her friends about similar experiences, she decided to stop attending sessions.

“[The school] sort of gives us this list of things they have—like we have Uncle Joe’s, we have free SHS sessions, etc.—but when that stuff is actually put into practice, it’s just not enough, and it just doesn’t end up working as smoothly as it sounds it will,” she said. “It’s sad that there are a huge amount of people dealing with these mental health issues on campus, and even if they do decide to seek out these resources, I don’t think they end up being satisfied with them, and have to opt to suffer silently instead.”

Another junior who requested to remain anonymous said that his depression caused him to fall behind in school, resulting in grades that his Career Center advisor told him would make it near impossible for him to get into medical school.

“It just seemed unfair that I wouldn’t have the opportunity for a second chance,” he said. “I feel like this school sees mental health as a blemish…it’s just a spiral because you keep falling behind, which just makes you more and more upset.”

For some students, though, mental health conditions progress to the point where they are forced to take leaves of absence from the University.

One of Mohanty’s main frustrations with the University’s handling of his situation was, he said, that administrators were not forthcoming about declining his application—despite his personal physician’s approval—to return to campus after his medical leave. He claimed they threatened to detain him should he return to campus.

Glass said that the University goes along with recommendations of students’ personal physicians on whether their patients are fit to return the “vast majority” of the time. But he and Dean of Students Justin Carroll could not specifically comment on Mohanty’s attempt to return to campus.

Students who take mental health breaks from the University have to receive approval from the deans of their respective schools in order to return. That decision is often contingent on an evaluation by SHS, which looks at the recommendation of students’ personal physicians as well as their academic records and particular situations.

A major consideration is whether they will be able to return successfully to their studies.

“A lot of the time, [medical leave] is for an exacerbation of a chronic issue, and so then actually a huge [concern] is can we provide the necessary support for that student when they come back?” Glass said.

Some students are invited to come back but are encouraged to take a smaller course load, but 95 percent of students who take medical leave ultimately come back and finish their studies at the University, Glass said.

“Leaves happen in unfortunate life situations, but the leave process is not a bad thing,” Glass said. “It’s an inherently good process and extremely successful the vast majority of the time.”

At a Board of Trustees meeting last spring, undergraduate representatives to the board discussed the recent surge in mental health leaves on campus, reflective of a growing problem at the University and at colleges in general.

“I think the administration is fully aware that it’s something that needs to be worked on, so at this point, I think it’s about figuring out concrete steps to really address the issue,” Mamatha Challa, a 2013 graduate of the University and former undergraduate representative to the Board of Trustees, said.

Michael Tabb | Student Life

About 60 students participate in a discussion at the Student Union Senate meeting on Wednesday night in the Danforth University Center. The meeting topics included how to expand discussion of mental health policy to the rest of the University.

Data that the representatives presented to the board showed that one in four students within the past year were identified as having mental health conditions, and the rise in mental health leaves has significantly outpaced the growing number of leaves for physical health reasons. Challa said that it is important to realize that while mental health most affects students personally struggling, it also has effects on the overall University atmosphere.

“It’s important because it’s not only about the individuals [affected] but also about a ripple effect that occurs throughout the community. When one person is struggling with their mental health, it affects them, and it affects everyone that cares about them,” she added.

In the few days since Mohanty posted on Facebook, a number of students have expressed concern with the University’s silence on the matter as well.

At Student Union’s Wednesday night Senate meeting, about 60 students discussed how to move forward with improving mental health services on campus.

Senior Matt Re, president of SU, said he and a number of other people at the University recently spoke with mental health professionals from other universities as part of a report about the University’s mental health policies, which should come out in the next few weeks.

“People are aware that it is an issue,” Re said. “We were called to the meeting with this third party mostly to give our opinion of how we think things are handled now. And the general sentiment was that things are fairly negative and that things are not handled in the best way they could be handled.”

Meanwhile, Senate representative senior Austin Vanbastelaer said that based on the stories of people he’s talked to, the school is fairly accommodating to students with mental health concerns.

“I think that when we come here, we expect that the University is going to do all it can to help us. And I’m not saying that upon reflection it always appears that way, but I think that we have to trust that our administrators are acting in the most helpful way they can at the time and that they are doing their best throughout the process,” Vanbastelaer said.

Junior Abhishek Saxena, president of Active Minds, a campus group focused on spreading awareness about mental health issues, said that while the post was upsetting, he hopes that it will not keep University students from voicing their concerns about mental health.

“We have stuff like ‘Choices’ and ‘The Date’ at orientation, yet we have nothing about mental health, which is something that does affect a good amount of people in the student body,” Saxena said. “I don’t want this story to be disheartening to Wash. U. students because they need to know that there is help out there and there are people willing to listen through the school’s different resources.”

Carroll said that while the University does value transparency, there are some situations in which administrator’s hands are largely tied due to FERPA, HIPAA and privacy concerns more generally.

He said while the administration is unable to comment on Mohanty’s specific claims, he believes students will trust the University is doing everything in its power to help those with mental health issues.

“It’s what it is. Hopefully, students at the University who’ve had some experience here look at the institution and the community that we have in a broad way and judge the institution’s response and the entire community based on the experiences that they have and that their friends have,” Carroll said. “And that’s not to say that everyone has the same experience, but…others will have to judge whether that’s relevant to them or they feel that it’s their perception, too.”

Divya Kumar, Manvitha Marni, Sahil Patel and Michael Tabb contributed to this report.

• Anonymous

Why is Active Minds being quoted on mental health issues and not Uncle Joe’s? Joe’s is clearly the more experienced, professional resource that has first-hand experience providing mental health care to the WU Community. Active Minds doesn’t really do much of anything besides piggy back off on UJ events and try to copy their Post Secret exhibition. Just saying.

• wustudent3

“Carroll said that while the University does value transparency, there are some situations in which administrator’s hands are largely tied due to FERPA, HIPAA and privacy concerns more generally.”

It is my first time to hear that there is such thing called privacy in USA.

• Anonymous

I am a WashU alum, class of 2010. While overall, I had a positive experience at WashU, I agree that the mental health services need to be improved. I became depressed after a traumatic experience my freshman year. The therapist whom I met with at SHS, for some reason, always seemed to try to avoid discussing the traumatic experience and would instead try to direct the conversation to other, unrelated issues. After several visits, I decided to stop seeing her. Later that year, this therapist sent a mass email to her patients saying that she would be leaving WashU SHS. I found it very unprofessional that she sent out a mass email in which I could see the other email addresses that it was sent to. As I think back on that, I feel like I should have spoken out about it since that probably broke some privacy laws.
    It’s also worth noting, in the context of this article, that the therapist encouraged me to take a leave of absence, despite the fact that I was getting good grades. She seemed to have no concept of the fact that my involvement in school and extracurriculars was probably the #1 thing that was distracting me from constantly dwelling on what had happened.

• Brian

I can only wonder if these policies are a reaction to some of what’s been said about school shootings and mental health. Unfortunately, it seems that the reaction of the administration may have not been “Let’s try to help these students”, but instead, “Let’s get these students as far away as possible”. Just a theory…
    I can also say that I’ve heard some really weird stories about the “medical leave” process from some of my friends who had involvement with it, and at a minimum would suggest that that process be looked at.

• Kate

This isn’t a Washington University only thing. I’ve heard similar stories from at least two other major, well ranked campuses. It’s a societal thing. Having a mental illness is typically either seen as 1) a degenerative disease, something to be contained for the safety of others 2) something that makes you helpless and unable to take care of yourself and (most significantly) unable to know what’s best for you, providing justification for people to objectify you and deny you rights that for all others are a given. Which can be true in some cases of mental illness, but ballooning that term around every form of diagnoseable mental illness does so much more harm than good.

All I know is that when I went to a psychiatrist at Washington University for long term insomnia (as in, I’ve had idiopathic insomnia since I was three months old, and medicated off and on with ambien when it was really bad) and couldn’t afford a sleep study and they were oh-so fast to throw the pills on me. Psychiatrist suggested Xanax and another anti-anxiety drug, because, after two short sessions, she was somehow certain I had an anxiety disorder (because I told her “sometimes I worry”) that was manifesting itself in my inability to sleep. Remember, this stuff started when I was a baby. I politely declined, and the psychiatrist got very pushy, and huffy, and generally, “You question my judgment?” I was like, well, yes I question your judgment, I’m an autonomous adult. I weigh pros and cons and make choices based on my calculations. And I think you’re on the wrong track. I haven’t gone back.

As a postscript, I eventually found that by running fifty-sixty miles a week, my insomnia is completely managed. Why does this work, after twenty-something years? I don’t know and don’t care. It works for now. And I truly believe that it’s OK to worry sometimes and it’s OK to not want to swallow medicine like its candy. And I was very, very disappointed that the “psychiatrist” there was so pushy to try and diagnose me with a (pretty severe, possibility career limiting) mental illness and to put me on (what would appear to be) unnecessary pills indefinitely.

• A WU Senior

It’s no secret that Wash U cares very much about its reputation and it’s friendliness to students. Our administration boasts diverse and plentiful resources for mental health and well-being, and pushes to cultivate a highly positive attitude among its students. Uncle Joe’s, a valuable resource, illustrates how Wash U motivates students to create and enforce this positive environment among their peers. But what then does this mean for the individual who, despite these resources, continues to struggle with issues like the ones Amreet described? Whose fault is it that this individual cannot assimilate into the Wash U hyper-positive atmosphere? Surely not the administration or the school, which Princeton Review agrees has the 9th happiest students in the nation. Such a student then might find him or herself guilty of a failure to be ‘normal,’ and it is not difficult to imagine administration officials feeling the same, especially when academic integrity and drug issues are involved. Is Amreet Mohanty one such individual? I think the facts are currently too scarce to point any fingers. People often forget that facebook is not a reliable source of information. Still, stories like this take some well-established Wash U mentalities and turn them on their head – and shaking things up is never a bad thing.

• WU Junior

So there are a whole host of issues that cloud this story. However what you posted is actually a whole different issue. Assuming that what happened happened, whether he was “normal” or not should have nothing to do with it. No one deserves to have what supposedly happened happen to them. If it did, that’s an absolute failure on the administration.

• Anonymous

While I have very limited understanding of Amreet’s situation and do not wish to comment on it specifically, I think a conversation about the state of mental health services and medical leave policy on this campus is long overdue.

When I was struggling with major depression and generalized anxiety as a student – with symptoms greatly exacerbated by the stress and pressure of school – I found myself in a catch-22. If I wanted to retain access to my mental health providers, who at the time only operated within SHS and only accepted student insurance, I would have to take a “medical leave” rather than elect to take an “administrative leave” from school. Under an administrative leave, students may return to campus basically whenever they feel ready. Under medical leave, a student is subjected to paternalistic policies that grant SHS doctors and WUStL administrators with ultimate authority over a student’s readmission, and require that any student who takes leave mid-year be prevented from returning to campus the next semester and possibly longer, at the school’s discretion. In other words, if a student took medical leave right now, they would not be permitted to return to campus until Fall 2014 at the earliest. By “return to campus,” I mean they must immediately vacate university housing and are disallowed from /literally/ setting foot on campus or participating in student groups, even if they remain local. It should be noted that this is not a case of medical clearance, but administrative clearance as well, and involves many people in different offices of the university. This policy applies to all students who take medical leave, meaning ALL students with mental health issues are treated this way, no matter their diagnosis or behavior towards themselves or others.

From where I stood – and I have heard as much from a couple other students who have taken mental health leave from the school – it felt very much like the school views students with mental health issues and cognitive disorders as a threat to be contained, lest they contaminate the school’s atmosphere or brand. Wash U is more or less disinterested in helping a student cope with ongoing medical conditions once they prove they cannot successfully withstand the enormous stress of Wash U life without taking a break. The school retains a vague and adversarial medical leave policy, which denies students agency in important life decisions, subjects them to prolonged states of uncertainty with regard to their standing or potential for re-enrollment, and makes a student who is ill feel like a pariah by forcing them to cut off all engagement with their campus and support networks. Personally, I felt at odds with SHS, and often felt as if they were working against me rather than in my best interest. It was a very alienating experience, to say the least.

• Anonymous

I should add that I had to straight-up lie to administrators and doctors in order to be cleared to return as quickly as the policy allowed – more or less, I was made to understand that if I indicated to my doctors that I continued to experience anything but overwhelming joy and optimism at the prospect of returning to campus, I would be indefinitely barred from re-enrollment. Hereditary depression and anxiety are not things that can be “cured,” but rather require patience and understanding from administrators and professors in order to be managed while attending school. For obvious reasons, any medical leave policy that forces students with incurable (but manageable) conditions to lie to their doctors in order to continue attending school is completely bogus.

• anonymoose

I’ll readily admit that there are a lot of issues with how mental health is handled on this campus. I’ll also admit that there was probably at least some wrongdoing in this circumstance.

But there are a lot of holes in this story. Things that don’t match up between his comments here and his Facebook post. Details that are missing and events that are glossed over.

Until those holes are filled, and they likely never will be, we as a community should refrain from passing judgement on this individual incident. We should not take it as representative of the whole, because it is certainly not.

Instead, we should take it upon ourselves to look at why mental health issues are still handled poorly, even though it’s clear to all that the University is at least making efforts to handle them better.

Many professors and administrators don’t understand how crippling something like severe depression can be because they have never been through it themselves. They don’t understand how being so depressed you can’t get out of bed is just as valid a reason to miss a class or an assignment as having a severe case of the flu. And in one of those circumstances your brain at least feels like it has a choice in the matter.

• Student

Counseling is not about getting advice. You should be talking most of the time.

• John Smith

This story should be less about student health and more about the barbaric way the university allegedly treated one of its students. FYI, guys, if you get him to sign a disclosure form, then the university can’t hide behind laws meant to protect patients from having their health information improperly distributed. Also, it’d be nice if you quoted administration officials less and did some serious investigation; none of this should be particularly hard to verify (I assume emails have been exchanged; can you get those?), and if administration officials refuse to comment on specifics that are outside the realm of mental health (like bullying, say), then that’d be good to know. I know it’s hard, but that’s what journalism is all about. A more thorough explanation of Amreet’s allegations would’ve been useful as well.

For anyone who hasn’t seen it, here’s Amreet’s post (paragraphs mine to ease the reading experience).

I am writing on the Wash U Class of 2015 Facebook page to shed light upon occurrences as well as incidents last Spring that do not align with the fundamental principals and pillars that Washington University students and staff alike both strongly stand up for. What makes Wash U a special place and a premier academic institution in the world is the school’s strong devotion to excellence in academics, student life, equal opportunity, diversity, and care for students. That is why we as college students so greatly enjoy the undergraduate experience on the Danforth Campus.

However, from time to time, occurrences happen on campus just like any other college that fail to stand by these ambitions. During last Spring on the Danforth Campus as a Sophomore, I had a tough semester. Almost everyone at Wash U knows how hard it is to balance rigorous academics, extra circular goals, as well as social expectations. It can become overbearing at times and a drowning experience. I had been incredibly open with using the resources that Wash U carries from a mental health standpoint to support students as well as further resources such as weekly visits to the St. Louis Behavioral Center to manage my own mental health issues regarding anxiousness and OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). I also felt social anxiety stemming from being in situations around groups of people participating in the use of illegal street drugs which I strongly opposed against. As the weight of the semester began to press on me and my results in school and extra circular activities began to slowly spiral downward, I expressed self-harm and need for help privately amongst close friends.

When I reached out for support and a backbone of stability from the Wash U administration and staff that I had trusted so dearly, I was shocked to find the complete opposite. I was assaulted by a Police Officer outside Bear’s Den on the South 40 who grabbed me by my back and neck and physically wrestled me to the South 40 police station although I provided no resistance and peacefully asked what was going on. I found upper management administration members quickly profile me as the “kid who wears headphones all the time”. Since he wears headphones all the time, he must be a bullied insecure kid who may be mentally and emotionally unstable and react outwardly. These were statements later relayed from my attorney to me that school officials had told him. I found this profiling to be just as unethical as racism as far as discrimination goes. Labeling a kid as a possible criminal because he likes to listen to music.

The administration, particularly Dean Carroll (Dean of Students) and Tamara King (Head Judicial Administrator) went further to compare the student to the psychopath from Virginia Tech in 2007 who so disgustingly took away 30+ lives and injured many more in the most disgusting act of violence on a college campus in history. It was a very serious insult that my parents and I took deeply.

I was dumbfounded. Wash U is a school, more so than almost any school in the US that stresses the importance of helping students out first. Whether it be through Cornerstone for Academics, Student Health Services, or any other student aiding organization on campus that Wash U so proudly boasts, one of Wash U’s main differentiating factors is its image as a “Student-First” University. When I looked for help towards the upper management on campus, I was alarmed to not find this. Instead, I found a few key figures trying to protect the brand and reputation of the School rather than protect the student themselves- the most important assets of a University. I found a management staff that was ready to roll over a student like a tractor and hide it under the ground not visible to other parties of the campus community.

I was shocked. I really did not know how to react. As the semester closed, I was faced with further put-downs from University employees to my character for no logical reason. School employees and staff in the athletics realm also repeatedly made disgusting and abusive statements directly towards me such as “your head is fuc*ed up”, “don’t shoot yourself”, “have fun in community college” and also clear white lies in mocking ways. I started to feel ganged up by Wash U. Instead of helping me out, school officials were standing on top and crushing me. I did not know how to react, so I scheduled a meeting with Dean Carroll at his earliest possible availability.

Dean Caroll did not budge with response to my allegations. I started to feel ganged up upon by Wash U employees and administrators. And when I expressed my displeasure, sadness, anger, as well as frustration to my best friend on campus, Dean Carroll immediately got me put in handcuffs and sent to St. Louis County Jail for hours until 3 am in the night. (The WUPD officer even said he did not want to arrest me, but Dean Carroll was his boss and he had to follow orders). I was left homeless for the night as my phone was taken away and I had no communication. Surrounding me with real life criminals for the night was the administrations message to me. The very staff I had entrusted upon enrolling in Wash U to help create a terrific undergraduate experience were the ones intimidating me, and literally putting me behind bars.

From there, after my parents had picked me up from St. Louis, Dean Carroll and Tamara King further ganged up on me by stating that if I shared any of this information publicly on a medium such as Facebook, they would immediately expel me. They further went on to say, that if I stepped foot on the Danforth Campus, they would have me handcuffed and sent to jail within seconds. I found the image of Wash U as a University that will do anything to best accommodate and protect their students to be a façade orchestrated by two major players, a Dean of Students and a Judicial Administrator. Carroll and King ran over a defenseless student like a bull dozer simply because they could, because they had the authority and power to and the student was just that- a defenseless student. They could threaten to expel him, arrest him, suspend him and he could not do a thing about it.

After coming home, I took it with a chip upon my shoulder to prove the Wash U administration wrong, that I could and would be medically cleared to return to campus. Working two jobs in the financial services as well as entrepreneurship start-Up industry as well as working with my doctor at the St. Louis Behavioral Center on a daily basis, and a Palo Alto psychiatrist, I had received medical clearance and had met much more than enough requirements to return to school and regularly every four weeks, e-mailed Ms. King my intentions of coming back this fall. She ignored them. After following the precedent guidelines set specifically by Ms. King, I returned to campus alongside my Mom to go through the steps to be cleared to come back.

From there after repeatedly every four weeks telling Ms. King, I was coming back and to plan accordingly, I was met with the response that it is going to take 10 days for a judicial committee to be set up and during those ten days you are banned from campus although you are medically cleared and have no past legal violations. Then Ms. King went on to “claim” that I would be definitely suspended at the very least from Wash U. Not knowing how to react and not coming from a necessarily high income family where my parents could take so much time off as well as afford a place to stay, I did not know what to do. My family and I felt forced against a wall to pursue only one logical option: sign withdrawal papers from Washington University, a school that I loved. I was never given a voice, an even playing field, a hearing, and was ultimately trampled upon by the senior members of Washington University.

I am posting this on a public forum to shed light and awareness on the fact that situations can occur at Wash U. Senior level staff such as Dean Carrol and Tamara King as well as fellow faculty and staff were wrong in every single viewpoint in grouping up and intimidating a defenseless student as well as his family. I hope that members of the Washington U community who stand against discrimination, bullying, and abuse should be aware of these examples and how although these characteristics may be violated amongst the student body, they can and are equally at times violated by Wash U employees themselves who themselves must be held just as accountable.

• hi

Perhaps you didn’t consider that Amreet may not want events that were obviously very traumatic to him and probably don’t reflect him in the best light published on the internet and forever attached to his name. We ought to respect his privacy if that’s what he wants.

• Roger

In the end, its difficult to swallow such accusations without knowing exactly went on. The Facebook post doesn’t look like it mentions any threatening text, which is mentioned in the article. If a message threatening harm was indeed sent, then perhaps there are valid grounds for the administration to be concerned.
        I agree that all individuals should have their privacy respected, but posting an accusatory message on a public website is hardly private. I believe the ball is in Amreet’s court, in order to substantiate his claims, to provide written consent for the disclosure of information under HIPAA and FERPA.

• pocahontas

yeah, I think it’s pretty obvious that StudLife did all they can to write up this article. Looks like they tried talking to a lot of people that all said “no comment”, which sucks, but isn’t their fault. And in terms of “digging up emails” or something like that, unless you’re suggesting that they somehow hack into someone’s account, it’s pretty obvious that they would have posted them if Amreet had consented to it in his interview. I agree that this wasn’t as interesting as I was hoping it’d be, but idk if we could expect more without some more cooperation from all the parties involved.

on a related note I’m curious about the text that Amreet sent, the article doesn’t talk about how his text got to administrators, but the fact that it did implies to me that the student who received it genuinely though something dangerous might happen and that it wasn’t just “venting” or whatever and that they needed to report it. if that’s the case then I can understand why the university would jump to such measures, even if they could have been more empathetic about it. can you imagine how much we’d blame the administration if something dangerous HAD happened and then we discovered that this story had happened beforehand?

• anonymous

the text was sent to his best friend out of frustration of putdowns from the coach and his best friend showed it to the coach and the coach called the police

• wustudent3

Why Americans nowadays are so paranoid about “threats” and always report them to police? Don’t they understand that doing so can screw up a person’s life? It seems that everybody is becoming the informant of an ever expanding police state in the witch hunt of some nonexistent “threat”.

• John Smith

> Looks like they tried talking to a lot of people that all said “no comment”, which sucks, but isn’t their fault.

Is this really what we’ve come to expect from journalism? If Bob Woodword, Carl Berstein, and Seymour Hersh had all said “Well, gee, the government has no comment, I guess that’s a wrap” there’d be one or two important stories we didn’t know about.

>And in terms of “digging up emails” or something like that, unless you’re suggesting that they somehow hack into someone’s account, it’s pretty obvious that they would have posted them if Amreet had consented to it in his interview.

And if he didn’t, that’s worth knowing, don’t you think?

• Julia

Give it time, then. Journalism takes time. Bob Woodword, Carl Berstein, and Seymour Hersh had time. They also had resources and connections because they worked for one of the largest newspapers in the country. These guys had one week. And school. So instead of berating them for holes and gaps in the story, encourage them to keep covering it, keep talking to sources, and push this until we see a fully formed story, a full response from the university, and, I hope, some reform in the way we treat mental health at WashU