‘Live with Katy Tur’ to film on campus Thursday

| Associate Editor

MSNBC “Live with Katy Tur”—one of the cable network’s afternoon news programs—will film live outside the Danforth University Center starting at 1:00 p.m. this Thursday, Oct. 11.

The filming, part of Tur’s “Battleground College Tour” of U.S. campuses ahead of the Nov. 6 midterm elections, was originally supposed to take place at Clark University in Atlanta, but projected inclement weather from Hurricane Michael forced the show to find an alternate location, and Washington University stepped in. According to Associate Vice Chancellor for University Communications Julie Flory, the University was more than happy to welcome Tur’s broadcast to campus.

“We loved having Katy and her colleagues here for the presidential debate in 2016, and we couldn’t be more pleased that they have decided to come back to Washington University,” Flory wrote in a statement to Student Life. “Especially now, during what has been an especially intense chapter in American politics, it is more important than ever for our students to be engaged in the democratic process and to learn about and focus on the issues.”

Tur rose to national prominence as a journalist covering President Donald Trump’s campaign in 2016 for NBC News. On Twitter, Tur wrote that she was last on Washington University’s campus while covering the second presidential debate, which was just days after the Washington Post published audio of Trump making lewd comments about women on “Access Hollywood.”

“Last time I was at @WUSTL, was two days after the Access Hollywood tape at the second debate when Donald Trump brought Bill Clinton’s accusers to deflect scrutiny. Wild day,” Tur tweeted Tuesday.

As part of Tur’s show Thursday, students who are involved in politics and activism on campus will be interviewed about local and national issues.

Sophomore Arik Wolk, vice president of College Democrats, will be among those interviewed. Wolk said that the emphasis for the interview will be on university students and the midterm elections.

“[The interview will focus on] how Wash. U. students are reacting to the midterms [and] what issues Wash. U. students are particularly motivated by when they’re going to vote this November,” Wolk said.

Wolk added that in the interview, he is most eager to talk about youth involvement in the midterm election, which he feels is significantly up compared to similar elections in the past.

“I’m excited to talk about how motivated young people, particularly college students seem to be about this year’s elections,” Wolk said. “Young people usually don’t vote in midterm elections, but it seems like this year particularly among Democrats and particularly among female voters, there’s an overwhelming sense of motivation.”