News In Brief: Fulbright, IAW, Relay

News Editors

Kate Lee awarded Fulbright Scholarship

Washington University senior Kate Lee was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship by the J. William Fulbright Scholarship Board Tuesday. A member of the University’s women’s tennis team and a history major, Lee has been selected as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant for South Korea. Lee will receive six weeks of language and culture training before being appointed to her position which will start in July 2018 and continue for a year.

Lee isn’t without experience, as she taught English to children who lived in areas outside of Seoul in the summer of 2014.

“I applied for the Fulbright grant because I found the program’s commitment to cultural exchange and learning so attractive,” Lee wrote in a statement to Student Life. “I’m really looking forward to the six weeks of intensive language, culture and ESL instruction I will be receiving prior to my placement in a South Korean school. I believe the lessons that I learn during that time will help me better connect with my future students and allow me to appreciate Korean culture on a greater level.”

Islam Awareness Week 2018

Islam Awareness Week 2018, which began April 2, will continue until April 8. Hosted by the Washington University Muslim Students Association (MSA), the week includes four events.The first event, Islam In Africa Discussion, a round-table discussion facilitated by Professor El Hadji Samba Diallo took place on Monday. On Wednesday,

MSA challenged Washington University students to eat halal for a day, in part of a larger effort to bring more halal options to campus.

MSA will also be hosting Halaqa: a Discussion on Income Inequality Friday at 2:00 p.m. in Lopata prayer room. Their last event on Sunday in Cupples II room L009 is Raising Up Refugees, a discussion about the life of refugees in St. Louis.

Relay for Life

Relay for Life will host their opening ceremony at 7 p.m on Francis Field, with events starting at 6 p.m on Saturday, April 7 and lasting until 6:00 a.m on Sunday, April 8. Events will include Pie a Professor, a silent rave and performances by several student groups as well as a hypnotist.

The event’s Luminaria Ceremony will take place between 10 p.m. and 11:30 p.m. Saturday. In addition to volunteers, only those who have registered and either sent five emails through their dashboard or raised $100 can attend the events and participate. Registration is still open.

For more information and event times students can visit Relay For Life at Washington University’s Facebook page and website or contact Samantha Corson at samantha.corson@cancer.org