BREAKING: Anne-Marie Slaughter to deliver 2018 commencement address

Foreign policy expert, law professor and former State Department official Anne-Marie Slaughter will deliver the commencement address for the class of 2018, Chancellor Mark Wrighton announced at the senior class toast today.

Slaughter is also widely known for her 2012 Atlantic Magazine article “Why Women Still Can’t Have It All” that prompted a national debate on the difficulties surrounding the work-life balance for women. Current president and CEO of New America, a nonprofit, nonpartisan civic platform, Slaughter is known for her dedication to bringing about a new America in the age of rapid technological and social change.

Courtesy of Public Affairs

In addition to delivering the commencement address, Slaughter will receive an honorary doctor of laws degree from Washington University. Slaughter received her bachelor’s degree from Princeton University in 1980 before going on to receive her master’s and a doctorate in international relations from Oxford University, where she was a Princeton M. Daniel’s Scholar, and a J.D. from Harvard Law School.

According to Wrighton, Slaughter’s international recognition as an expert on foreign policy issues makes her a great candidate to address the class of 2018.

“Anne-Marie Slaughter is an internationally renowned expert and author on issues of foreign policy and national security and identity,” Wrighton wrote in a statement. “I have no doubt that her message to our new graduates and their families will be insightful and inspirational.

Wrighton also believes that she will provide insight on the issue of work-life balance and the state of our country today.

“I look forward to hearing her message as an astute observer of the state of America and its future, especially as that relates to our concept of family and the important issue of work-life balance,” Wrighton added. “She has thought deeply and written widely on these concerns, and our graduates will benefit from hearing from her at this key moment of their lives.”