WU expands libraries, Olin Business School with large donations

Newman’s Own $50,000 grant

Newman’s Own Foundation awarded Washington University Libraries a $50,000 grant to improve the accessibility of collections and digitize the University’s student publications.

The grant will support improvements to the Modern Literature Collection, with additions from Newman’s Own co-founder A. E. Hotchner—a Washington University alumnus—and playwright David Wagoner.

In addition to supporting the growth of the Modern Literature Collection, the grant will fund the digitization of student publications, including, the student yearbook, the University’s independent newspaper Student Life, The Eliot Literary Magazine and Dirge magazine.

“This generous grant will allow us to make numerous collections more accessible to more researchers more quickly, whether it’s history students and alumni getting digital access to Washington University student publications or literary scholars and writing students exploring the papers of important American writers,” University Libraries’ curator of the Modern Literature Collection/Manuscripts Joel Minor said in a University Libraries news release.

Koch family makes $12 million gift to the University

The St. Louis-based Koch family made a $12 million donation to Washington University to fund the Koch Center for Family Business and professorships in the Olin Business School and Washington University School of Law.

The goal of the Koch Center of Family Business is to highlight family business’ complexities and introduce business school students to career options in family businesses.

“There’s a lack of perception about how many family businesses there are and what role they play,” Paul Koch said after announcing the gift at the Family Business Symposium at Olin. “There’s also a lack of perception about the complexities of family businesses.”

The appointee for the professorship supported through the grant, the Koch Distinguished Professor for Family Business, will be a key player in launching the family business center as a leader, curriculum-developer and researcher.

“I just announced the establishment of the Koch Center for Family Business to be directed by the inaugural holder of the Koch Distinguished Professorship. The Koch family provided a magnificent endowment gift to support our initiative in family business,” Chancellor Mark Wrighton posted on Twitter.