Alpha Epsilon Pi temporarily suspended

Fraternity under investigation for alcohol-related policy violations at social events

Washington University placed Alpha Epsilon Pi on temporary suspension due to allegations of policy violations related to alcohol at social events at the chapter’s campus house between Feb. 17 and Feb. 23.

The suspension—which comes just a week after another fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, was permanently suspended based on to violations of a different suspension levied due to hazing—will stay enforced until the conclusion of an investigation into the chapter.

Alpha Epsilon Pi’s house sits next to the Beta Theta Pi house on Lower Row. The fraternity is currently under Washington University investigation due to allegations of policy violations related to alcohol at social events.Stephen Huber | Student Life

Alpha Epsilon Pi’s house sits next to the Beta Theta Pi house on Lower Row. The fraternity is currently under Washington University investigation due to allegations of policy violations related to alcohol at social events.

“It has been alleged that multiple individuals required medical attention after attending events and consuming alcoholic beverages at the Alpha Epsilon Pi House between Feb. 17 and Feb. 23, 2018,” Executive Director of Campus Life Leslie Heusted wrote in an email to Alpha Epsilon Pi president Daniel Reiff.

University administrators declined to comment on the expected trajectory of the investigation that is being led by the Washington University Police Department.

“This investigation is being handled by the Washington University Police Department due to the seriousness of the allegations,” Associate Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs Rob Wild said.

As part of the temporary suspension, the chapter is “not in good standing” with the University, nor is it considered a recognized chapter on campus.

Members of the chapter who live in the house are allowed to remain living there. However, other fraternity members will have their swipe access to the house revoked. Other terms of the temporary suspension demand that members do not participate in any chapter, fraternity or University event as representatives of AEPi—which includes social events.

Reiff declined to comment and referred Student Life to Pierce Communications, a public relations organization with ties to AEPi International.

“We have nothing to add to the story. AEPi is cooperating with the University’s investigation,” former AEPi International President and AEPi International Media Spokesperson Jonathan Pierce said in an email to Student Life.

Editor’s Note: Editor-in-Chief Ella Chochrek was not involved in the writing or editing of this story.