Administrative coordinator killed in murder-suicide

Emma Baker | News Editor

Katrina Banks, administrative coordinator for Office of Undergraduate Research at Washington University, was killed, along with her teenage son, in a murder-suicide by her fiance, Dornubari Dugbor, last Thursday.

Dugbor anonymously called 911 at approximately 11:50 p.m. that evening, telling St. Louis County Police that they would find three bodies in Banks’ home on Hoyt Drive. Banks is survived by her 4-year-old daughter, who was home that evening and remained unharmed.

In her role at the University, Banks managed research awards for undergraduate students and coordinated the MARC uSTAR program, which is a 10-week research program for rising sophomores at the University targeted at underrepresented students in the sciences.

“We were terribly saddened to learn the news of Katrina’s passing. Our university community has suffered a great loss and we have extended deepest sympathies to her family,” Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs Jill Friedman wrote in an email to Student Life. “Because this is a private matter and out of respect for Katrina’s family, we will not be providing further comment.”

Additional reporting by Danielle Drake-Flam

• Zelda Z

Students, colleagues, friends, and family of Katrina may want to know that there are two local Survivors of Suicide Support Groups which are, free, open, and peer-led support groups for anyone who has lost someone to suicide.

Olivette SOS group meets every Wednesday 7—8:30 pm, 9355 Olive Blvd., Olivette, MO 63132. Entrance is at rear of the building.

St. Charles SOS group meets the first & third Monday of each month, 6:30—8:00 pm, Baue Community Center, 608 Jefferson, St. Charles, MO 63301.

For more information, contact the SOS Coordinator at 314-446-5158 or [email protected]