East End construction remains on schedule, affects ThurtenE Carnival, commencement

Kathleen White | Staff Reporter

While construction on the East End continues, this year’s ThurtenE Carnival will take place near Francis Field and Washington University’s May 2018 commencement will be in Brookings Quadrangle, with parking located off campus at The Muny.

The East End construction remains on schedule. Over spring break, work will begin on the third floor bridge between Jubel Hall and Whitaker Hall.

According to Jane Kojima, communications manager for the East End transformation, daily demolition will occur between 6:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. until March 18.

The East End of campus is currently under construction, and the project remains on pace for completion. The  ThurtenE Carnival will be moved due to the construction, and off-campus parking will be added for Convocation.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

The East End of campus is currently under construction, and the project remains on pace for completion. The
ThurtenE Carnival will be moved due to the construction, and off-campus parking will be added for Convocation.

“The current pedestrian detour at the School of Engineering will remain the same. Soundproofing measures are in development to mitigate noise in spaces on the south and west sides of Whitaker,” Kojima said.

ThurtenE Carnival will move from its place in front of Brookings Hall to its original home near Francis Field.

“The Washington University community will witness the carnival come to life while walking near the [Danforth University Center], [Athletic Complex], Simon Hall and Seigle Hall,” junior Mari Hattenbach, ThurtenE Honorary’s media relations representative, said. “The Carnival will continue to offer attendees the rides, games and booths they have come to enjoy in years past. We’re looking forward to all that this new location will bring.”

Rather than finding the move upsetting or challenging, ThurtenE Honorary looks forward to having the carnival return to its original home.

“The construction has not presented an issue, but rather an opportunity for the carnival to move back to its original location. This coincides with our 2018 theme, ‘ThurtenE through the Years: Our Shared History,’ which focuses on the combined history of the carnival, Wash. U. and St. Louis,” Hattenbach said. “This year presents a new landmark in that history and we’re excited to be a part of it.”

According to Director of Commencement Ida Early, the University’s May 2018 commencement will be negatively affected by the construction because of a reduction in the amount of parking available. To accommodate for the decreased parking, the University will ask faculty, staff and any remaining students to park off campus.

“We’ve got the Muny—they have a couple of large parking lots that we’ve rented, and we’ll have a large shuttle bus running to take faculty, staff and students back and forth to campus on Thursday and Friday of commencement to give our guests more opportunity to have the parking spaces that are on campus,” Early said. “We’ll be conducting any persons who had accessible parking stickers to park in the DUC, and they’ll be met there, and [we] will have wheelchairs available if they need them.”

The graduates will still have the opportunity to take photos on the steps outside Brookings Hall, but the process will be more coordinated this year due to tightness of space, according to Early.

“There are still some steps there, and we’ll still have people taking pictures. But we’re going to try to have volunteers out there from the construction company and our facilities group to tell guests about what they’re seeing,” Early said. “I think it’ll actually be kind of interesting and exciting.”