Phi Delta Theta suspended temporarily due to alleged hazing

Danielle Drake-Flam | News Editor

The Washington University chapter of Phi Delta Theta fraternity has been temporarily suspended and is currently under investigation by the Washington University Police Department as of Sept. 14.

Following several reports to Campus Life concerning a possible hazing incident, an investigation was launched. Due to the seriousness of the allegations uncovered, the investigation was transferred into the hands of WUPD.

The Phi Delta Theta fraternity house.Stephen Huber | Student Life

The Phi Delta Theta fraternity house.

Washington University Police Chief Mark Glenn spoke about the reasons for the investigation, saying that the timeline is indefinite but that WUPD hopes to complete the investigation in a timely manner.

“Right now we initiated an investigation based on information that we have received of a possible hazing incident,” Glenn said. “Any kind of investigation like this that we run, we like to identify other witnesses and people to talk to. We are devoting resources to this to get through this as quickly as possible.”

Campus Life held a meeting with the members of Phi Delt last Thursday evening, where details of the fraternity’s temporary suspension were discussed. Leslie Heusted, executive director of Campus Life, sent out a letter to parents and guardians of the fraternity members the following day, detailing the limits of Phi Delt’s suspension.

The temporary suspension restricts the Phi Delta Theta fraternity’s collective activity, as its members will no longer be able to participate in Greek life on campus, meaning they cannot hold chapter meetings, host activities or participate philanthropically. Although those who live in the house are allowed to remain there, other members will no longer be allowed swipe access.

Heusted explained that, although Campus Life’s main reason for holding the meeting was to inform Phi Delt’s members of the temporary suspension, Campus Life also wanted to inform the fraternity brothers that they are still supported in the campus community.

“It’s really important for us at Campus Life to make sure that [the fraternity members know] how we can support them and how the University is supporting them through this, because really the important thing here is that we make sure folks are safe and successful,” Heusted said. “So we wanted to make sure that we were giving full attention to this but also respecting the residents of the house.”

Heusted also mentioned that Phi Delta Theta was cooperative with the investigation and that she does not expect to run into any major problems going forward.

“We asked them to be cooperative with the investigation, and they were responsive to that,” she said. “I think that everybody is really interested in moving this along in the most efficient way possible and I would expect that moving forward.”

Phi Delta Theta fraternity president and junior Tom Hutchison declined to comment at the time of publication.

• Tony C.

As an old Phi Delt, all I can do is ask; what the hell is wrong with you boys?! It seems like every chapter in the country is either revoked or under investigation. LSU, a dead Phi?! Time to pay, and may true justice prevail. If this keeps up, the greek system will become extinct nationally, and the positive values that we learned as brothers will die. You boys need to get out in the community and start giving back, regardless how superior to doing real work you may feel. Get some class.

• Norman Pressman

I’m waiting for the comment by some Greek Official that you can’t blame the system for a “few bad apples” Since I was a WU student in the 60’s virtually every bad act by a Fraternity or Sorority member has been defended with that line. Maybe its not a few bad apples but a poisonous tree.