WU announces honorary degree recipients

Washington University will grant honorary degrees to six individuals at the 156th Commencement ceremony May 20.

Commencement speaker Anna Quindlen, author and Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist, will receive an honorary doctor of humane letters degree.

Reverend Gary G. Braun, director of the Catholic Students Center (CSC), will also be awarded an honorary doctor of humane letters degree. After arriving at Washington University in 1991, Braun has helped grow CSC into one of the largest faith organizations on campus, ministering to over 1,200 students. Since 1994, he has also been director of all Catholic campus ministries throughout the Archdiocese of St. Louis.

John W. Bachmann and David L. Stewart will receive honorary doctor of laws degrees at Commencement. Bachmann, a senior partner at Edward Jones, is credited with helping to build the investment firm into one of America’s leading financial services institutions. Stewart is the co-founder and chairman of the country’s largest African-American-owned company, World Wide Technology.

Thomas F. Frist, Jr. will receive an honorary doctor of humane letters. He is the co-founder and chairman emeritus of Hospital Corporation of America, one of the nation’s leading providers of health care services.

Dr. Virginia V. Wheldon will be awarded an honorary doctor of science. She is a pediatric endocrinologist, former Washington University School of Medicine administrator and the first female chair of the Association of American Medical Colleges.