New student-run nightlife group hosts first event, caters to 18-plus crowd

Premier, a new student-run nightlife event-organizing company, held its first event, a post-spring break party, on Saturday, March 25.

Premier CEO and freshman Zach Moskow attributed the company’s creation to the lack of available nightlife for students under 21.

A DJ plays music at the Horny Goat Premier event. Premier, a new student-run event planning organization, hosted a “Spring Break Welcome Back Party” at the dance club Saturday evening.Jiyoon Kang | Student Life

A DJ plays music at the Horny Goat Premier event. Premier, a new student-run event planning organization, hosted a “Spring Break Welcome Back Party” at the dance club Saturday evening.

“I was really frustrated with the lack of opportunities. It’s kind of a shame what the options are. For other [event-organizing] companies, only a few events are 18+. That was a really big thing for us,” he said.

Moskow has created a number of companies and his first startup experience was when he was in high school.

“The first real business I started was during my junior year of high school. It was a company where we sold different phone charging accessories,” Moskow said. “That was when I got my experience running a team, building a website, handling e-commerce.”

Premier’s first nightlife event was a “Spring Break Welcome Back Party” at HG Dance Club in St. Louis. Moskow noted Premier’s desire to feature student DJs.

“We have a main headliner who does a lot of stuff in St. Louis who isn’t in college, but I really wanted to have students involved,” he said.

Some students have expressed concerns with the appeal of Premier’s events for younger students interested in nightlife.

Sophomore Anna Kleydman questioned underage students’ interest in leaving the campus for nightlife.

“I think it’s going to be hard to convince students under 21 to go off campus to events that are dry when they have other options,” she said.

Sophomore Allie Hough highlighted the role of transportation in younger students’ ability to attend Premier events.

“I think transportation will be a pretty big deterrent, when it’s easier to walk somewhere on the Loop or stay on campus versus a longer trip downtown or wherever you’re going. Especially if they can’t drink there, I feel like that’ll run into a bunch of issues with people getting in bigger trouble with fake IDs or people trying to sneak alcohol in. It’s a good idea, but it may be hard to get people to go,” Hough said.

Despite some students’ uncertainty about Premier’s appeal, the company saw high student turnout at their first event. In total, 409 tickets were sold.

Moskow stressed the importance of opening up events to students outside of Washington University in order to increase attendance.

“A big thing that Premier has done is reach out to Saint Louis University as well, and we even have some students coming from St. Louis Meramec. The biggest thing we see is expanding to other schools even more,” he said.

Premier hopes to eventually expand its reach outside of the St. Louis area, Moskow added.

“Another thing down the line could be something as cool as sharing the system with other schools, like schools in Chicago. It would be less about Premier St. Louis and more about Premier as a brand,” he said.

Students can expect to see more nightlife events from Premier in the near future.

“In August, we’ll probably have a few for Welcome Week and such. The only thing that’s questionable and that we’re finalizing details for is to do one at the end of April, depending on feasibility with WILD and [Greek life] formals and such,” he said.

• Maya Terry

A++