Sigma Chi restructures final ‘Derby Days’ events, WPA encourages sororities to participate

Following the cancellation of events deemed inappropriate in fraternity Sigma Chi’s annual philanthropy week, the Women’s Panhellenic Association (WPA) decided to revise their earlier position, which discouraged sororities from participating.

Friday’s joint statement issued by the WPA and Sigma Chi, outlining the WPA’s choice to encourage sororities to participate in “Derby Days,” followed Sigma Chi’s decision to cancel a brotherhood auction, discontinue the exchange of hats for points and open up the week’s final fundraiser, a flag football competition previously open only to various sororities, to allow fraternities to participate.

The Sigma Chi fraternity house sits on Fraternity Row outside the Tao Tennis Courts. The fraternity canceled parts of its philanthropy week after they were deemed inappropriate.Stephen Huber | Student Life

The Sigma Chi fraternity house sits on Fraternity Row outside the Tao Tennis Courts. The fraternity canceled parts of its philanthropy week after they were deemed inappropriate.

Although the fraternity set an initial goal to raise $8,000 for their chosen philanthropy organization, the Huntsman Cancer Institute, the group came in over $4,000 short with a total of $3,875.

WPA first announced it would be encouraging sororities not to participate in the philanthropy week in a statement issued Thursday, declaring events in the week sexist and exclusionary.

“Derby Days does not align with our community values, and we therefore ask that sorority chapters evaluate their participation in the event,” the WPA statement read.

In response to this statement, Sigma Chi announced it would work together with WPA to restructure the week to better align with WPA’s values, eventually canceling the events in question and allowing fraternities to participate in the flag football event.

Despite these efforts to rectify what WPA saw as sexist events, the fraternity fell short of both their fundraising goal for this year.

Senior Luke Silverman-Lloyd thanked all those who attended the week’s events on the event’s Facebook group.

“Thank you to everyone who came out and supported Derby Days this year,” his post read. “We really appreciated your energy and participation in helping us campaign against cancer!”

Student Life reached out to a total of seventeen individuals involved in Greek life for this story, including members of the Women’s Panhellenic Association, Sigma Chi brothers in exec positions and multiple sorority presidents, but all either did not respond or declined to comment.

Editor’s note: Editor-in-Chief Noa Yadidi is a member of Delta Gamma and Associate Editor Wesley Jenkins is a candidate of Beta Theta Pi. They were not involved in the reporting or editing of this story.