Local man sentenced to 16 years in prison for kidnapping law student last August

and | News Editors

St. Louis County Police

William Cobbins appears in a mug shot following his arrest for kidnapping a University law student in August 2012. Cobbins was sentenced to 16 years in prison after being found guilty in November 2013.

William Cobbins, the man convicted of kidnapping a Washington University law student from a campus garage at knifepoint and forcing her to withdraw money from ATMs, has been sentenced to 16 years in prison.

On Aug. 28, 2012, a student was getting into her car in the Snow Way garage when she says she was approached by a man—later identified as Cobbins—who said he had a knife. Cobbins then ordered her to drive him to multiple ATMs, where he forced her to withdraw money—reportedly about $1,000—from her bank account. After dropping Cobbins off in St. Louis, the victim reported the incident to Washington University police.

Cobbins was found guilty on Nov. 1 of kidnapping, robbery and two counts of armed criminal action, and he was sentenced on Dec. 5. Prosecutors had requested a 22-year sentence for Cobbins while a St. Louis County jury recommended 34 years.

Cobbins was sentenced to 12 years for kidnapping, 10 years for robbery in the first degree, 8 years for one count of armed criminal action and 4 years for the other count. The first three sentences will be served concurrently.

“The fact that Mr. Cobbins was arrested, found guilty and sentenced should make not only Washington University but the entire community safer,” Chief of Police Don Strom said.

Cobbins is currently being held in a Department of Corrections assessment unit and will be moved to a corrections unit within about 30 days.