Nick Offerman to bring ‘American Ham’ comedy tour to Edison Theatre

and | Student Life Editors

You better prepare all the eggs and bacon you have.

Nick Offerman, the American comedian best known for playing Ron Swanson on the NBC sitcom “Parks and Recreation,” is coming to campus on Nov. 10. He will be performing standup, presenting a dialogue and playing live music for Social Programming Board’s Fall Comedy Show.

“Nick [Offerman] has a really exciting live show,” sophomore Brian Benton, comedy director for SPB, said. “It will be more than just standup—it will be a whole event.”

Before he played one of the more iconic characters in recent television history, Offerman got his start on the Chicago theatre scene, where he met Amy Poehler while working as a fight choreographer.

Since then, he has amassed a number of television and film credits, including acclaimed movies like “Smashed” and “21 Jump Street.” He has received Television Critics Association Awards nominations for his performance as Ron Swanson but has never been nominated for an Emmy, to the chagrin of his peers and television critics.

Offerman is also an avid woodworker, selling his homemade boats, beds and other goods on his website.

Unlike past SPB performers who came from stand-up backgrounds, like John Oliver and Hannibal Buress, Offerman’s show promises to be more theatrical. He described the “American Ham” show to the L.A. Times as “songs and woodworking tips with minor nudity.”

“We thought this would provide a little bit of variety,” Benton said.

“It’s something most students probably haven’t seen before.”

The “American Ham” tour has taken him all over the country, to states as diverse as Alaska to Florida to New York. Wash. U. is just one of many college campuses he will visit this fall; other colleges include University of Colorado, The Pennsylvania State University and Ohio University.

“I think there’s going to be a lot of people like me who go to [Offerman] because of Parks and Recreation,” junior Arian Jadbabaie said. “I didn’t know he did comedy shows, but I’m looking forward to it.”

Senior Charlie Unger said that while he may not go to the performance in November, he’s familiar with Offerman through Reddit.

“He’s one of the biggest names in comedy—he’s a big internet figure,” Unger said. “It’s a really cool event for the University.”

The show is Nov. 10 in Edison Theatre. Admission for Wash. U. students will be free, and more information will be available closer to the event.

With additional reporting by Alex Leichenger.

• Sophia

See?!? You cannot argue that Hannibal Buress is on the same level as Nick Offerman or the previous comedians that CPC brought for their comedy shows. Take that critics.

Sophia Hirsch
    formerly quoted in StudLife and criticized/called out for not knowing Hannibal Buress