Undergraduate applications see 10 percent increase

While Washington University saw a 10 percent increase in applicants from last year, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions reduced the University’s rate of admission by nearly 10 percent to ensure their target freshman enrollment is not exceeded.

According to Julie Shimabukuro, director of admissions, the office’s goal enrollment size for the freshman class is approximately 1,600 students. The office received around 30,000 applications.

Undergraduate Admissions released letters to applicants on Friday March 8, three weeks before their decisions deadline.

“We understand that this is a stressful time for high school students and that they are anxiously waiting to hear from admissions offices around the country. We do our best to release our decisions before April 1 if we can to try to relieve some of this stress,” Shimabukuro wrote in an email to Student Life.

According to Shimabukuro, the office has received many responses from admitted students since the letters were released.

“It is amazing that within such a short period of time, students responded to our decisions from across the U.S. and around the world. We have been busy answering email messages and phone calls from students and their families and are preparing for spring visits,” Shimabukuro wrote.

Students admitted to the University were extended an invitation and free flight to visit the University on one of several “visit weekends,” and must either accept or reject their offers of admission by May 1.

Shimabukuro did not offer exact statistics on how many applications the University received, how many students were accepted or any specifics about the incoming class.