Rising junior Gabby Reuveni killed by pickup truck while running

Rising junior Gabby Reuveni was killed the morning of July 14 after being hit by a pickup truck during her morning run.

According to a Pennsylvania State Police report, Reuveni was reportedly jogging along the shoulder of Route 507 in Palmyra Township, Penn. when a pickup truck driven by Philip Cise, 48, crossed the line and struck her.

The report said that witnesses at the scene had seen Cise’s 2007 Chevrolet Colorado swerving across the double yellow lines and fog lines several times before hitting Reuveni. No charges had been filed as of Thursday afternoon and the investigation into the incident is ongoing. But several local media sources have reported that state police are looking into whether Cise was intoxicated at the time of the accident.

Reuveni’s funeral was held Tuesday afternoon in Paramus, N.J.—Gabby’s hometown—in front of a crowd of around 700 to 800 people, NorthJersey.com reported.

Reuveni was an International Area Studies major and a member of the 2011 National Champion women’s cross country Team and Alpha Phi sorority. She was the valedictorian of the class of 2010 at Paramus High School in New Jersey.

Those who knew her at the University said she will be incredibly missed.

“The whole Washington University Cross Country Track and Field program, everyone is mourning and grieving and we’re going to miss her beyond words,” said Jeff Stiles, the University’s head cross country coach, after speaking with the family. “It’s just sober. It’s just shock. And we’re devastated. And words don’t do justice.”

“Gabby was very positive—very positive and overly positive at times,” Stiles said. “Gabby wouldn’t want us to be sad right now.”

The University had reached out to her family Saturday. Multiple school officials confirmed the death, though Student Life was unable to obtain a police report or any particular details about the accident.

Reuveni had been working over the summer as an account coordinator at Sigma Group. Shannon Morris, the group’s president described her as “one of the most special, gifted and talented young people I’ve ever known… She represented both with great tenacity and amazing spirit.”

A Facebook group entitled “In Loving Memory of Gabby Reuveni” has received over 2,500 likes as of 4:40 p.m. July 17 and dozens of posts conveying condolences and memories from family and friends.

A full obituary will be posted shortly. If you knew Gabby and would like to share your memories of her, please email editor@studlife.com.

Note: This story originally stated that the incident occurred in her home neighborhood in New Jersey, but it actually occurred by her other residence in Pike County, Penn. It was also updated to attribute confirmation of the incident to University officials, which was changed when Student Life obtained a police release on Thursday. Student Life apologizes for any confusion.

• Anon

Why hasnt this article been updated? More information has been available for a few days, as other commenters have shown. There has been an arrest, tons of significant information about that guy that the Wash. U. community should know about.

When online commenters do more investigation than the journalist, you know there’s a problem.

• J

http://www.nj.com/bergen/index.ssf/2012/07/pickup_truck_strikes_and_kills_2010_paramus_high_school_valedictorian.html

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20120711/NJNEWS/307110033/Man-waves-ax-McDonald-s-drive-up-Rockaway-police-say?odyssey=nav%7Chead

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20120713/NJNEWS/307130056/Police-Blotter-Alarm-clock-through-glass-at-Jefferson-gentleman-s-club

Read the comments on the first link, last entry on the third link.

Not to be a downer, but this guy was a low-life: scamming people using 9/11 to solicit “donations” in 2001, threatening a customer with an ax after he was denied free food at McDonalds July 2nd, and stealing a car on July 7th.

He deserves nothing less than life in prison at this point.

• younis

I am very sorry over the death of this. accept my sympathy with her family, friensd and colleagues.

YOUNIS

• Jackie

Jogger hit, killed by car in Pike

PALMYRA TWP. – A 20-year-old woman is dead after she was struck by a car Saturday about 12:30 p.m. in Pike County, state troopers said.

Police said a car driven by Philip Cise, 48, was traveling south on Route 507 in Palmyra Twp. when it crossed onto the shoulder of the highway and hit the woman. The victim was not identified by police Saturday evening. Troopers did not provide an address for Mr. Cise.

A witness said Mr. Cise’s vehicle crossed the double yellow line and drifted onto the shoulder at different times before hitting the jogger, state police said.

Troopers said the investigation is ongoing and charges are expected to be filed.

• Anonymous

Correction: She is from Paramus, but the accident occurred at her lakehouse in PA.

She will be missed dearly.

• Lydia

Such a sad and tragic death. My heart aches for her family. Rest in peace Gabby.

• m. c.

So so sad when a young person dies. Some of my friends posted about her and prayers go out to her family and friends. May she rest in peace.

• matthew k

terrible to see the young die