University to close at 3 p.m. Monday because of winter storm

Storm also forces cancellation of campus events

| Executive Editor

All of Washington University, with the exception of the School of Medicine, will close at 3 p.m. on Monday because of a severe winter storm that is affecting the area, officials announced.

All non-essential services on the Danforth, North, South, West and Tyson campuses will be suspended, including classes. Essential services, which include the Washington University Police Department, Dining Services and certain personnel in Facilities Planning and Management, will remain operational.

All classes will be canceled starting at 4 p.m. The Activities Fair is also canceled and will be rescheduled at a later date.

This is the first time that the University has closed because of weather since 1982 when a storm system blanked St. Louis with 13 inches of snow.

The University also announced the cancellation of key events on campus. Monday’s scheduled lecture on religion and politics in America by Ray Suarez, correspondent for “The NewsHour” on PBS, was canceled. A scheduled interfaith discussion for Tuesday featuring Rabbi Steve Gutow and the Rev. Michael Kinnamon was also canceled. No reschedule dates have been announced for either event.

The medical school remains open. Per University policy, individual employees must decide for themselves whether it’s safe to travel to and from work.

Departments that require a minimal level of staffing 24 hours a day will remain open or will close on a departmental basis.

The closure is in response to the severe weather predicted for the St. Louis metro area. The latest forecasts predict anywhere from one-tenth of an inch to one half of an inch of ice through Tuesday morning and 3 to 12 inches of snow Monday night to Wednesday morning. High winds gusting up to 40 mph are also possible.

It is unclear whether the University will close any or all services on Tuesday. Closures will be announced on a daily basis on the University website and through the usual communication channels.

A winter storm warning issued by the National Weather Service remains in effect for St. Louis city and St. Louis County until noon on Wednesday.

Gov. Jay Nixon has issued a state of emergency in Missouri and mobilized the state National Guard, his office announced Monday afternoon.

Check studlife.com for regular updates as this story develops. Puneet Kollipara and Matt Mitgang contributed to this report.

• Anonymous

When did this last happen? I want historical perspective to go with your copy and paste from the official announcement!

• let me google that for you…

1982

• student

Geez, lighten up. This is a breaking news story that passes on valuable information to students.