Stolen computers recovered in under 12 hours

Washington University police arrested two men in connection with a case of burglary last week in the Seigle Hall computer lab.

On the evening of Jan. 13, six computers were stolen from the lab.

Although WUPD believes that Seigle Hall itself was open on Thursday evening, the computer lab was locked.

“They forced open the door to the computer lab, and then they removed the computers from the building,” WUPD Chief Don Strom said.

The computers were recovered within 12 hours of being reported missing Friday morning.

The police department found a computer that matched the description of the missing ones on Craigslist. WUPD contacted the sellers, pretending to have interest in purchasing the computer.

“They gave us enough identifying information about the computer that we were convinced it was one of the stolen computers, and so we agreed to meet them to purchase the computer from them,” Strom said.

As part of the investigation, WUPD followed the men back to where the other computers were, and all six were recovered.

“They showed up with the computer, and we arrested them,” Strom said.

Neither of the two men arrested for the burglary is affiliated with the University.

“Our investigation is still continuing, but as of right now, I think we have the people most directly involved,” Strom said. “It was a good piece of investigative work.”

The St. Louis Police Department is also participating in the ongoing investigation.