Yozamp to appear on ‘Jeopardy!’ final after another victory

“Jeopardy!” star Nick Yozamp strikes again. Thursday afternoon, in the first game of a two game finals set, Yozamp won by almost $6,000 after getting the Final Jeopardy! question correct. His total going into Friday’s match is $20,000.

College “Jeopardy!” finals are a two-day total-point affair. Whatever amount was won on Thursday’s game carries over to the episode airing Friday. At the end of the second game, the contestant holding the largest amount of money is the victor.

Yozamp is guaranteed a minimum of $25,000 at the end of the finals period.

Students gathered in the Danforth University Center’s Tisch Commons on Thursday around a large screen set up to view the show at 3:30 p.m.

Should he come in first place, he will be the recipient of a $100,000 grand prize.

Yozamp, a junior, is a biology major. In his contestant blog on the “Jeopardy!” Web site, he noted that he intends to apply to medical schools this summer.

Yozamp was excited to participate in the finals.

“The finals were taped along with all of the other games in early January, so I’m just eager to watch the finals at this point,” Yozamp said. “But, when I was competing on ‘Jeopardy!’ a month ago, I was immensely excited to compete in the finals and was not the least bit nervous. I was just happy to be able to play two more games of ‘Jeopardy!’ win or lose. I expected the finals to be intense but amicable; all three of us were guaranteed at least $25,000.”

According to Maggie Speak, “Jeopardy!” contestant producer, Yozamp is an example of a great College “Jeopardy!” contestant.

“Nick is a terrific contestant and a terrific young man,” she said. “He lights up a room when he walks in. He is a truly a great competitor and a gentleman. When he is playing the game you can see the joy on his face.”

Yozamp will appear in his final episode of “Jeopardy!” at 3:30 p.m. on Friday.