George Washington Week

| Assignment Editor
Students will be able to ride a horse and buggy throughout campus, like last year’s Washington Week. (Evan Wiskup | Student Life)

Happy birthday to you, Mr. President.

That’s what the members of the Washington University community will be saying all of next week, when the University celebrates its namesake’s birthday during the annual George Washington Week.

Next Monday through Friday, events around campus will commemorate the birthday of George Washington. Washington, born on Feb. 22, 1732, would be 278.

The George Washington-themed events on campus will include horse-and-buggy rides, a crowning of this year’s George and Martha, and some themed culinary treats, including cherry pie and Sam Adams beer.

In addition, on Monday there will be a culinary competition among the residential colleges.

On Tuesday there will be a Mardi Gras celebration in the DUC, followed by a dance competition.

Wednesday will be marked by EnCouncil’s Cheap Lunch. Later that day, the Career Center will hold an etiquette dinner.

On Thursday there will be a homecoming party and outings to the Delmar Loop and to Morgan Street.

The celebratory week will culminate with the wigging of George and Martha at the Bears’ basketball game on Friday.

The week’s festivities will be sponsored by student organizations, including Student Union, Lock & Chain, Career Center, CS40, Interfraternity Council, Panhellenic Council, KWUR, EnCouncil, Bear Discounts, Joint Class Council, Campus Programing Council, DUC Programming Board, WU Cheerleaders and Red Alert.

“I think this really just brings us back to our namesake,” SU Vice President of Administration Nate Ferguson said. Ferguson, a junior, was one of the primary planners of the week and has been eagerly anticipating it for months. “I think that it brings the student body closer together. This is one of the few events we have on campus that connects us to him.”

Ferguson also said that he is happy to see so many groups put on the events.

“I’m excited for all of it. There are so many groups who put so much work into their events,” he said. “I’m just excited for next week and I hope it will be a success.”

Students are reacting positively to the week’s programming. On the event’s Facebook page, 1,208 have already responded that they will be attending, and another 357 have replied that they may attend.

“Personally I think that the buggy rides sound so cool, I would love to go for one,” sophomore Jessie Frank said. “It could pick me up at the DUC and then drop me off at my class at Brown Hall.”

Junior Nate Gardiner did not agree.

“Buggy rides, lame,” he said. “It just seems not fun, I don’t really see the point,.”

Some students think that the events will unify the student body.

“It creates a sense of belonging,” freshman Neel Desai said.

Other students think that the week will have a positive effect on the student body’s interest in the University’s basketball program.

“It’ll bring more people to athletics, and that’s cool,” sophomore Gina Maliekal said about the wigging ceremony for George and Martha at Friday’s basketball game.

“The crowning of George and Martha is going to be so much fun. It is just really quaint,” Frank said.

Not all students are so excited about the events. Sophomore Joel Lowery said that it is unlikely that he will attend any of the week’s festivities.

“I am really busy,” said Lowery, who said that Washington Week is not one of his top priorities.

Many students still said that this annual event will provide a multitude of ways to stay busy on campus.

“It seems like on of those things where there is so much going on. I’ll go,” Desai said.

Correction: The original version of this article stated that Wednesday would be the first Engineering Council lunch. The lunch, referred to as Cheap Lunch, will not be EnCouncil’s first of the semester.