First slate announces candidacy for 2010-11 SU exec.

Slate promises accessibility, campus pride and a more strategic SU

The Bold Slate is running for SU executive positions in March.

Student Union Vice President of Administration Nate Ferguson announced on Tuesday that he will be running for SU president as the head of the Bold Slate, which is the first slate to announce its candidacy for SU executive positions.

Bold Slate is the first slate to announce its candidacy for the 2010-2011 school year. Candidacy packets are due to the SU office by Feb. 22. More slates are anticipated to announce their candidacy in the coming weeks.

The Bold Slate is comprised of Ferguson (president), Mike Post (vice president of administration), Olivia Hassan (vice president of finance), Tricia Bailey (vice president of programming) and Ehi Okoruwa (vice president of public relations). Each member currently holds or has held an SU position except Bailey, who was an executive for Mr. Wash. U.

The name of the slate is intended to stimulate action by the student body.

“We really wanted to embolden the student body to be able to feel comfortable coming to SU and talking about what issues they are passionate about,” Ferguson said. “We also won’t be afraid to be bold and challenge the status quo if it is harming the students.”

Three central ideas surround Bold Slate’s campaign. First, the slate wants to make SU more accessible to students, help people feel comfortable approaching SU and see it as a tool for advocacy and event planning.

“We want SU to be seen as a resource—a place where students can go for help with PR and event planning­—and also for SU to be seen as an advocacy tool…not just seen as a cash cow,” Ferguson said.

Second, Ferguson wants to push SU to be more strategic in its actions. As a part of this goal, the slate will also create a five-year improvement plan for the body.

“I want to help student groups…by reducing over-programming, and then also I want to make it more strategic to create a five-year plan to help SU combat its internal instability,” Ferguson said.

In the final component of the plan, the Bold Slate hopes to improve the student experience by increasing school pride and increasing campus card functionality so that it may be used off campus.

Equally important to the slate is making its members available to the University community.

“We want to have one-on-one interactions with students by going to student groups’ meetings,” Ferguson said. “Another component of outreach is I want to hold office hours for execs at various places around campus so that students who don’t go to SU have access to SU execs,” Ferguson said. “I also want to have comment boxes all around campus to say what is wrong with Student Union or campus as a whole.”

Ferguson said that the slate looks forward to working with University administrators.

“I have a lot of relationships with administrators, and as a lot of people know, Wash. U. is built on relationships, so having those relationships will be key,” Ferguson said. “The president role has to be balanced with relationships with administrators and not being afraid to stand up for students.”

The Bold Slate plans to campaign in many ways, including traditional methods like distributing flyers and establishing Facebook groups. Ferguson also plans to campaign through direct contact with individual students.

“As we’re doing next year with active outreach, I want to have those one-on-one interactions with students and have our slate get to know the student body better than we already do,” Ferguson said.

• Wondering Student

Okay not to be a hater, but I can’t help but wonder how this is any different from Open’s platform. It seems like you all just straight jocked their platform. I can’t ignore the similarities between the two. So yea why should I vote for you all when you’re just a rip off version of [open]. Bold=Be OLD!!!!!!!!

• “Italics Slate”

Trust me, I am not StudLife’s biggest proponent, but this article is definitely not campaigning propaganda. StudLife is merely trying to report news – which I am glad I received at all.

On that note, let me voice my opinion on this slate. I don’t know much about some of the candidates in this slate (aside from hearsay, such as “Tricia Bailey is a loose cannon”), but perhaps that fact alone speaks to how shallow the promises of this slate are. I am a Student Union representative and have held 3 elected/appointed positions in other student groups across campus (plus other leadership roles in other non-SU on-campus organizations). So why is it that I’ve had little to no contact with these folks that are promising transparency in SU operations and approachability? Furthermore, the fact that Nate Ferguson of all people should preach strategy, accountability, and increased dialogue (e.g. through comment cards?) is a joke. He assumed Trevor Mattea’s elected position after Trevor’s resignation WITH NO CONSULT FROM THE STUDENT BODY. In his tenure, what changes have we seen enacted? As far as I can tell as both an SU representative and a student group member: nothing. (Granted, his answer will say otherwise – but he’s speaking from the very removed perspective of an SU rep for his entire time at WashU, and I doubt he can fully empathize with the everyday SU constituency.) He took the position of VP Administration, as best I can tell, simply because it is seen as more of a priming for the presidency.

Nate, from one Vice President to another, Joe Biden said it with “more of the same.”

• Student

This is not against any campaigning rules. It specifically says in the election packet:

“Print media and radio messages that are not paid for, as well as word-of-mouth, have no monetary value, and are not considered campaigning or advertising.”

Based on the election packet and rules, this slate has done nothing wrong.

This should be an exciting election season though!

• really

dear ” another student?”

The other slate had all but 1 person a week ago. And I agree this is going to be a very interesting election, I hope that Stud Life attempts to actually cover it fairly and doesnt inflate the hype.

• Whhaaat

Dear Student,

reread the article, they are discussing their platform. The election packets JUST came out, after this article was published. That my friend, if campaigning.

As for the second slate, they havent announced themselves because they wanted to do it when it was appropriate…

meaning they wanted to play by the rules.

• Another student?

Campaigning or not, this will be a great election.

And second student, the reason there’s no other slate in Studlife if because the second one just finalized who’s actually in the slate three days ago.

• Student

clearly “Student” is a friend of some1 in the slate. This is totally campaigning, when you talk about your platform in an annoucement that is campaigning. You don’t see the other slates in Studlife, do you?

• Student

In response to Whhaaat
    I don’t know which article you’re reading but I don’t read anything that sounded like the candidates endorsing themselves. They simply announced they were running and talked about their ideas that they WILL BE (future tense) running with. Actually campaigning would include something about how the constituency voting for them because of their ideas.

Also this article is in no way an endorsement by Student Life. That process if far more extensive and we would say explicitly in the article that we were endorsing a slate. Look back at the past elections when Stud Life did endorse people and compare.

• HG Wells

I would really like to see a candidate platform that isnt a bunch of BS. Every year candidates say the same thing and then, dont really deliver. Dont get me wrong Jeff Nelson is a fantastic man and has accomplished sooo much, but it seems almost single handedly.

I have heard with my own two ears reps saying that they arent going to listen to students because they “dont know what they are talking about” and most people in the legislative bodies think that they are the ones who know best and are obviously more intelligent than any other student on this campus.

I dont see that self righteous attitude changing anytime soon.

• Whhaaat

Isnt this campaigning before the campaign period begins? I didnt think we could get election packets yet…..

does this mean studlife is endorsing this slate? Or is there not another slate again. since it looks like SU has already had its internal primaries and selected the new favorite.

• http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=593555791 Jerome Bauer

I hope all the SU officers and candidates will support the tabled Resolution Advocating Increased Protection of Lectureship Positions, introduced in Autumn 06: Please support a real career path based on teaching, mentorship, and research assistantship only, at all levele, including Master’s education and doctoral training.

http://www.cfu-lc.com//su_lecturers_policy2.htm#resolution