Police make arrest in reported sexual assault case

| Director of New Media

A female student reported earlier this week that she was sexually assaulted by an acquaintance in September, according to the Washington University Police Department.

The alleged assault took place on Sept. 29 in the victim’s room in a South 40 residence hall and was reported to the police on Tuesday.

According to information released by police, the suspect—who was arrested on Wednesday and is awaiting the filing of formal charges—is a student at another St. Louis university and, although unaffiliated with Washington University, was known by the victim.

Washington University police made an arrest based on the victim’s report and a subsequent investigation.

Police would not release the suspect’s name because the St. Louis County prosecuting attorney’s office is reviewing the charges to evaluate whether to proceed with the case.

According to Washington University Police Chief Don Strom, no update is expected on the case’s status until late next week at the earliest.

Although the suspect is not currently being held on charges of sexual assault, there was an outstanding warrant for his arrest because of an earlier traffic violation.

Because no identifying information was available about the suspect, Student Life could not immediately determine whether the suspect had made bail on the traffic violation or whether the suspect remained in custody on that charge.