The art history department: your newest fan page

Students already express their appreciation of different bands, organizations, causes or politicians on Facebook. Now, Washington University students can also become fans of the Department of Art History and Archaeology.

The Department created the Facebook fan page Tuesday in order to better communicate with students both within and outside of the department. While Nancy Rubin, Art History and Archaeology’s administrative assistant, sends e-mails to the department’s majors and minors, she said that the Facebook page will be more accessible—and more visible—to interested students.

Rubin also noted that the department—like every one at the University—has a Web site, but that students did not visit it.

“It was a matter of meeting the needs of the students in how they’re used to receiving information,” Rubin said. “The difference between the Web site and the Facebook is that the Web site would require them going to it where with the Facebook if they sign up to be a fan they should just get the announcements popping up.”

Senior Britt Royal, an art history major, said that some of the department’s students would enjoy receiving fewer e-mails.

“We had a lot of e-mails, really, frequently—more than once a week—which I didn’t have a problem with, but I know some people have problems with clogged e-mails,” Royal said. “This is just really streamlined and visual.”

Rubin hopes that the Facebook page will make students across campus aware of the events that the department puts on, such as professors’ lectures, and that it will allow fans of the page to correspond with each other.

“Hopefully there’ll be a chance for the students to interact through the link to the Facebook as well,” she said. “The interaction would happen already verbally between students but this is an easier way to get the information out.”

Royal said that she looks forward to finding out about the department’s events without having to go to its Web site.

“I think it’s a good idea,” she said. “I’ve already been able to respond to the lectures so it will be really nice to have those events pop up on my Facebook homepage when they are coming up so I wont forget them.”

Although she is attuned to student cyberculture, Rubin has yet to make Facebook a part of her social life.

“I don’t have a Facebook page yet myself,” she said. “This is going to cause me to get one and learn how to use it. Some [faculty] don’t have pages yet.”