Warhol at Washington University

Law school has iconic artist’s work

Louis Brandeis, a screenprint by Andy Warhol, hangs in the Law School. (Matt Lanter | Student Life)

It is one of the most famous works of art at Washington University, but its not housed at the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum.

Around the corner form the main staircase at the School of Law in Anheuser-Busch Hall, across the hall from an atrium filled with students, hangs a portrait of former Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis, a screen-print by Andy Warhol. Rectangles of red, green and blue surround Brandeis’ face in the print, distinguishing it as an obvious Warhol piece. The piece is one of a series of prints and lithographs that line the walls of the law school, meant to add color to the students’ daily routine, according to Associate Dean Phil Burwick, and it is one of about 200 extant copies of the work around the world. Here is what students, faculty and staff around Wash. U. have to say about it:

“My philosophy was to try to buy art that had a legal theme. We’ve had a lot of people comment on it. They know it’s a really nice piece. They know it’s a Warhol right away.”

- Associate Dean Phil Berwick

“I didn’t even know it was there. It’s wonderful if somebody owns a private piece and they want to display it in a public place on campus. I’d be interested to know where it came from and how it ended up there.”

- Asst. Curator Meredith Malone, Kemper Art Museum

“I think it’s really neat. It definitely stands out. It would definitely make the space memorable to a visiting student. If they were giving a tour, you’d remember that you walked by a Warhol.”

- Alison Curran, student assistant for web services at the law school
“It’s nice that they have colorful things in a neutral building. There’s a lot of tension here. I’m not personally a big Andy Warhol fan, but I think it’s bright and cheery.”

- Caroline Broome, first-year law student
“I don’t walk through this hallway at all. It was in a better location last year. I’m a big proponent of putting art anywhere you can. It’s the most well-known painting in the school, and it’s in a hidden spot.”

- Seth Guiterman, second-year law student