Change W.U. can believe in

In our last staff editorial of the 2012-13 school year, we asked the Washington University administration for a number of changes on campus. And while some were perhaps a bit too ambitious, we did see our wishes for the return of the sociology department and a Starbucks in the new b-school buildings realized. Here’s to hoping that this year’s requests will be just as fruitful.

Zach:

1. Better mental health services through Student Health Services—College is an incredibly stressful time for many students, but SHS’s offerings of help are inconsistent at best and nonexistent at worst.

2. A 20th national championship for the Bears—Let’s turn those No. 1 national rankings into some titles next year.

Derek:

1. More food choices at the Village—Food from the stir-fry station and the grill gets old after a few weeks. Adding options like pastas or gyros would be nice.

2. Having color printers in dorms—This is extremely inconvenient for students who don’t own a color printer. Students would appreciate one less trip to the library.

John:

1. A new Ursa’s—Whether it’s returning to its old restaurant plan or starting fresh, it seems a shame not to make some more use out of a great location.

2. Revisiting the course evaluations interface—The web developers for WebSTAC have recently updated the registration, registration worksheet, course listings and the College of Arts & Sciences PlanIt pages, so it might be time to give course evals another look to expedite the search process.

Emily:

1. More campus parking—It’s great that Wash. U. is building more buildings, but that shouldn’t mean demolishing parking lots and not replacing them. The demand for parking isn’t going to decrease just because the lots are gone.

2. Affordable housing options—In building the Loop Lofts, Wash. U. is demolishing one of the most affordable housing options (University Terrace) in summer 2015 and is replacing it with the final building of one of the most expensive housing options. The price of the Loop Lofts is astronomical, especially considering that many students were placed there without regard to housing preference.

Scott:

1. An actual discussion about need-blind admissions and how they affect diversity on campus.

2. Reconsideration of how Student Union’s carry-forward account works—As a senior, I’ve lost out on about $300,000 worth of student activity fees that myself and other seniors paid and expected to benefit from.

Sarah:

1. More general awareness of socioeconomic diversity as a presence on campus—By nature, Wash. U. students do tend to come from economically privileged backgrounds, but there are plenty of students who cannot, in fact, simply ask their parents for an extra $50 in alcohol money or go out for sushi every Sunday.

2. Whole-wheat spaghetti at the pasta station in Bear’s Den. Like honestly, the white spaghetti is pretty mushy and gross, and spaghetti should really make people happy. The current quality of spaghetti only makes people sad. Whole-wheat spaghetti, besides being healthy, is also deliciously al dente and not mushy. It is the epitome of delicious elegance in carbohydrate form.

Laura:

More cars in the Enterprise CarShare fleet—If freshmen can’t have cars on campus, they should at least know they will have easy access to affordable vehicles. Getting to necessary appointments off campus can be difficult and expensive at popular times.

More gluten-free options throughout campus—It’s generally easy to find gluten-free options in the Danforth University Center or BD, but eateries like Holmes Lounge, Whispers Cafe and Stanley’s in Lopata Hall offer very few options for snacks on the go. And ready-made options would be appreciated—I don’t always have the time to order in advance.

Katharine:

1. Make sure the Lofts are actually done by move-in—So far they still look kind of like an empty shell. Crossing my fingers that I have an actual building to live in this August. (Hopefully the Global Foods Market will be done in time, too.)

2. Keep doing the W.I.L.D./WUStock surveys. Childish Gambino was the most requested artist on Social Programming Board’s Spring W.I.L.D. survey, so obviously people were psyched when he was announced as the headliner. Keep up the good work, SPB.

Nick:

1. Incorporate a journalism minor, or at least journalism courses, into the College of Arts & Sciences curriculum.—Currently, students can only take journalism courses through University College, and it just isn’t convenient or worthwhile to take a three-hour night class once a week when it doesn’t count for Arts & Sciences distribution requirements.

2. The revival of Red Alert—Student attendance at sporting events was unusually low, particularly at men’s basketball games, where the only noticeable student section was Phi Delta Theta (aka “The Bomb Squad”). Similarly, there was barely a student section for the women’s basketball games. Red Alert used to have a sizeable presence at campus sporting events, and it needs to get back to where it once was.