Student Life | The independent newspaper of Washington University in St. Louis since 1878

The best and worst of Valentine’s Day

Wash. U. students are pretty terrible at this whole romance thing. In case your best idea for a perfect Valentine’s date involves six textbooks and a Kit Mao lecture, your friendly neighborhood StudLife senior staff is here with some excellent (and terrible) date ideas for Valentine’s Day.

Sahil Patel

Best: Go ice skating in Forest Park, holding hands during endless laps as the snow lightly falls on your shoulders.

Worst: Cross the river and enjoy an East St. Louis strip club. Maybe your date will dance along!

Leah Kucera

Best: A romantic threesome with Michael Tabb and a large plate of hot wings.

Worst: Going through all the effort of making small talk and still having to pay for my half of dinner.

John Schmidt

Best: Providing fodder for a Taylor Swift song.

Worst: Showing up at a renaissance fair dressed for a disco party.

Derek Shyr

Best: Get a deep-tissue couple’s massage with scented oils and lotions at MassageLuXe to set the mood for a perfect night.

Worst: Go on a romantic walk around Forest Park and watch a rom-com afterward.

Emily Sybrant

Best: Staying in and cooking for each other and watching a movie.

Worst: Infusing your lube with habanero extract to spice up your V-Day sex.

Zach Kram

Best: As long as it involves a punny Hallmark card, I’ll be happy.

Worst: Any date from “Fever Pitch,” or any date involving 40,000 people in pink Red Sox hats singing “Sweet Caroline.”

Scott Haber

Best: Watching the entirety of the second season of “House of Cards” after we order in crappy Chinese food. There might also be scotch.

Worst: Ken Ham speaking at a Genesis First fundraiser. There is nowhere else in America I’d rather not be.

Katharine Jaruzelski

Best: Go to Bailey’s Chocolate Bar for some of the best desserts in St. Louis.

Worst: Go to the “Conquest: A Tribute to Metal Gods” concert at Pop’s. (Unless you and your significant other are really into Iron Maiden.)

Georgie Morvis

Best: We either get a really nice dinner at a Clayton restaurant or get Taco Bell, and then we cuddle in bed and watch “30 Rock” or a very serious documentary on Netflix.

Worst: We go to a movie and you talk during an important scene. And walk slow.

Claudia Vaughan

Best: Cooking a romantic dinner together.

Worst: Going to a rave or some wild concert thing.

Will Wilder

Best: A romantic dinner and Peter Frampton comes and sings to us.

Worst: Ice skating. It makes me really nervous and uncomfortable.

comments

2 Comments Add your comment
Student Life | The independent newspaper of Washington University in St. Louis since 1878