Chancellor Wrighton, you should have used The Link

We know how incredibly overprogrammed this campus is. Conflicts between events are inevitable, and normally, we take that as a sign of a vibrant, engaged student body. We appreciate the multitude of options available to us and understand that sometimes we have to accept trade-offs as a result.

There is one recent scheduling conflict, however, that we find truly regrettable. This Friday, at 5 p.m., the University will hold the dedication of Brauer Hall and groundbreaking ceremony for Green Hall, the engineering building soon to be built just northeast of Brookings Quad. The ceremony will be held in the adjacent parking lot.

Meanwhile, as nearly every student knows (including those who have been chained to a desk in the Olin Library basement for the past couple of weeks), there will be another event occurring this Friday night in Brookings Quad: W.I.L.D. We feel surprised to have to remind members of the University community of its date, given that W.I.L.D. is the biggest student event of the entire semester and that it happens in the spring at the same time every year. A quick look at the University’s academic calendar would have revealed April 30 to be one of the worst possible dates to choose for the groundbreaking ceremony.

Associate Dean Nick Benassi explained that the date was chosen in concert with the donors and that the engineering school wanted to host the ceremony before classes ended so that faculty and students could attend. We certainly understand that the groundbreaking ceremony faced its own scheduling constraints, but we would have preferred the ceremony take place during reading week or finals than at its chosen time.

We can think of few worse combinations than an outdoor ceremony featuring several of the University’s most important donors and supporters mixed with a loud outdoor concert featuring the student body at its most intoxicated state.

This poor timing would have been less problematic if the ceremony were to be held indoors or even on the other side of campus. Given the ceremony’s location, however, conflicts are inevitable. To their credit, University administrators and Team 31 have worked together to coordinate the two events and have arranged a W.I.L.D. set change during the ceremony. We believe that it would have been better to avoid the overlap in the first place.

We are not asking the University to plan all future events around a crowded calendar of student activities. That would be absurd. Still, this strikes us as one scheduling conflict that needed to be avoided.

• Devil’s Advocate General

Eh, let’s be reasonable about this:

1. Nobody (no student, anyway) was going to go to the Green Hall groundbreaking for any reason other than the free food.

2. Nobody, not even former SU president Jeff “The Link” Nelson, uses The Link.

Also, to WU 2010, I think that Brookings was built before the Chancellor got here.

• WU 2010

Anyone who is actually surprised by this hasn’t been at this university long enough.

Has anyone ever been to Mark Wrighton’s office? His windows face outward, away from the university, not inward towards the quad, a major gathering place for the student body and university community. Maybe it’s a just a coincidence of how the interior of the building was designed, but I’d like to think that it’s a pretty good figurative representation of Wrighton’s priorities.

• anonymous

maybe it was the chancellor’s way of saying “f**k you, wild.” i mean, if i was the chancellor i would be too. it’s an insult to the university and its donors.

• http://www.facebook.com/mamathachalla Mamatha Challa

The title of this editorial is just way too funny! But yes, I definitely have to agree with you guys. Hopefully, this turns out alright, haha.