Technology and coffee

Danny Jones | Student Life
The world fell apart today. It imploded. I could not check my Facebook while waiting in line, distract myself during lecture, or check my email…but really, I just left my phone and computer in my dorm for 24 hours. Throughout the day, I did not check any social media sites or return any texts, calls or emails. I told very few people that I would be on a technology famine so that at the end of the day, my phone would have its normal contents when I checked it. On the whole, it was a very normal day, such claims of Armageddon were an exaggeration, but coming off my day of fasting, I realized that it would be nearly impossible to be a student at this school without continuous access to the Internet for much longer than a day.

Without the Internet you would not have access to online lectures, be able to download or complete assignments, or communicate with friends. It is an integral tool to our functioning in school as a pen. Most people, if they were to turn off their phone for a day, would have no problem, (it would be like missing a tool instead of a limb) but the problem occurs when we start to lean on it too heavily. Access to the Internet, or more broadly technology, through a computer or a phone is on an equal, or maybe higher, basis as coffee.

Most people drink coffee regularly, use coffee breaks as a time to socialize, and enjoy the many flavors and forms it can take. Coffee is the student’s pick me up, but some people need it to the point of an addiction. Technology is similar. It is a very diversely applied tool that is almost vital to our functioning. Our culture is intricately tied to technology. Even if you do not have a smart phone, most college students have laptops or daily contact with a computer. We look forward to texts and calls and check Facebook like it hides the meaning of life in its News Feed. In our lifetime, the phone has gone from a flip brick to a small computer. Our attachment to those small devices has increased exponentially over the years and will only continue to do so.

Technology should remain a tool, even though it has some habit-forming qualities. In my day without, I realized exactly the times when I wanted my phone or computer and almost unconsciously reached to look for them before catching myself.

I wanted my phone most while I was waiting for a wrap, for the Each One Teach One bus, or filling pauses with games in class. I realized that I played much better attention to my chemistry lecture when I was not playing Words With Friends, and that the walk to class is not that boring without music to listen too. While all of these events pale in comparison to what it would be like to be without permanently, it is interesting to have a glimpse into our own personal addiction. It’s like realizing that the only consistent part of your day is buying a coffee from Whispers. So, give it a try and give your phone a rest for a day; it might give you an insight into yourself so that you can make sure that you are not missing that piece of plastic more than it deserves.