The proof is in the pudding—and it’s delicious

Zakary Kadish | Class of 2019

We’ve seen a lot of discord at Washington University over the past semester, but as we enter the holiday season, I would like to lighten our spirits a bit and discuss a topic that has recently come up.

Many people actually don’t know that “pudding” isn’t just the gelatinous sludge that comes in chocolate, vanilla, and banana flavors. Real pudding—the stuff of English heritage—is actually a more cake-y dessert with a firmer and fluffier structure. To be as transparent as possible, I feel that I must share one of my favorite recipes for this timeless holiday dish.

Plum Pudding:

Ingredients

● ¼ cup butter

● ⅓ cup brown sugar

● 1 cup milk

● 12 dates, pitted and chopped

● ½ cup raisins

● ¼ cup dried currants

● ¼ cup candied mixed fruit peel, chopped

● 1 orange, zested

● 1 teaspoon baking soda

● 1 cup self-rising flour

● 2 teaspoons cinnamon

● 1 pinch salt

1) Well-grease a pudding mold.

2) In a large saucepan combine butter, sugar, milk, dates, raisins, currants, mixed fruit peel and zest of the orange; bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda. Sift in the flour, cinnamon and salt; mix gently until blended. Pour into prepared pudding mold.

3) Cover with a double layer of greased wax paper and steam (whatever that means) for 2 hours.

Real recipes come direct to you from Student Life! Again, in the name of transparency, I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com. Please be in touch with the site if it is sub-par; we need to keep it accountable! Thanks for reading, and I hope you find this dish a delicious addition to your holiday table!

Note: This is opinion is entirely my own: Student Union does not endorse plum pudding as a dessert.