Op-ed submission: Nothing but Love: A demonstration of inclusivity in response to Jonathan Fisk

Noah Heilenbach and Grace Kavinsky | Class of 2020

As students walked through their dorms this past week, they likely encountered a flyer entitled “The Original Diversity: Man & Woman in Christ,” which advertised a discussion led by Jonathan Fisk and hosted by the Lutheran Student Fellowship. Many of us probably passed this flyer by without digesting its hateful message. When we, the members of College Democrats, took time to look into Jonathan Fisk, we were appalled to realize that the Lutheran Student Fellowship has endorsed an unabashedly homophobic, ultra-conservative, transphobic, anti-choice fear monger.

As the name of his talk implies, Fisk believes that only heterosexual relationships deserve respect and that homosexuality and abortion “might just spell the end of civilization as we know it.” In one of his videos, Fisk argues that Christianity and homosexuality are incompatible, stating, “lesbian means that I act out upon my adulterous desires.” Fisk couples his apocalyptic message with warnings of an “anti-Christian crusade.” We believe that Fisk neither represents nor reflects the values of the Washington University community, namely, acceptance and inclusivity.

Fisk disparages others and argues that they do not deserve the same rights that he does. When confronted with this type of hateful and intolerant rhetoric, we have no choice but to voice our disapproval. We see it as our moral imperative to demonstrate our love for every Wash. U. student in the face of Fisk’s selective admonishment. It is our goal to show the world that this community accepts every one of its members, regardless of their religion, gender or sexual orientation.

To that end, we will be holding Nothing But Love in Tisch Commons on Feb. 20 at 6:00 p.m. Please join us to express your support for your fellow students, faculty and staff.

• Joe Schmoe

the usual pervs, degenerates and cretins are getting triggered

• Socratic Monologue

“Apocalyptic” messages have a long history. There’s even a book by that title.

• “It is our goal to show the world that this community accepts every one
    of its members, regardless of their religion, gender or sexual
    orientation.”

That is a bald-faced lie right there.

• Matt Richard

“…unabashedly homophobic, ultra-conservative, transphobic, anti-choice fear monger.”

Noah Heilenbach and Grace Kavinsky, maybe in the spirit of civil discussion, you could engage in conversation with Pastor Fisk, rather than so easily implementing an argumentum ad hominem. Besides, what he is advocating for is a view of man and woman that has been held by billions of people for the last two millennium. That is to say; are you being so audacious to throw two millennium of billions of people under the label of ” homophobic, ultra-conservative, transphobic, anti-choice fear mongers”?

Just saying.

• T. R. Halvorson

The authors crusade against Pastor Fisk to prove that there is no crusade against Christianity.

• Eric Russell

“It is our goal to show the world that this community accepts every one of its members, regardless of their religion, gender or sexual orientation.”

You really don’t believe this. This article proves that. You’re only accepting of those who are in complete agreement with you.

• Suegirly

You seriously do not see the complete hypocrisy of this post?? That is amazing. I do not agree with everything Rev. Fisk posts. But this inane, overblown reaction is completely juvenile…and the exact OPPOSITE of tolerance and understanding. Do you want the world to change. Do you want to put an ACTUAL END to hatred and violence. Then we need to start LISTENING to one another. Peacefully, quietly, respectfully LISTENING. You can agree. You can disagree. But acting like pouty, hysterical children solves NOTHING.

• Lance Klamer

It’s unfortunate that the authors of this article are blind to their own hypocrisy! Diversity, acceptance, and tolerance? Ha! Only if you agree with their own dogmatic views…Now there’s tolerance and diversity for you! What a joke.

• Jason Matthew Thorp

Noah Heilenbach and Grace Kavinsky are the ones who are truly hateful. This nasty hit piece is just more proof that the Left are not just ignorant, not just intolerant and hateful, not just liars, not just hypocrites, but also… bat-poop crazy.

• Diva

I’m fascinated by the fact that the article claims “We see it as our moral imperative to demonstrate our love for every Wash. U. student in the face of Fisk’s selective admonishment. It is our goal to show the world that this community accepts every one of its members, regardless of their religion, gender or sexual orientation.”

Except, apparently, for those members who agree with Pr. Fisk. The paradox here is appalling. What you really mean through this statement is that you support those students and staff *who agree with you*. How does this protest support the portion of the student body that agrees with Pr. Fisk? How is this accepting – or even merely respecting – their religion?

• WO4TG

For the title of the piece partly being “in response to Jonathan Fisk,” you actually failed to respond to him. You imply that Rev. Fisk is hateful and, as your evidence, you yank a part of one sentence out of a 13 and a half minute video. Had you bothered to watch the video, you would have heard Pr. Fisk specifically say that he does not hate the woman who sent him the email he was responding to. He was confronting her with her sin, so that she in knowing her sin, she would repent and experience the forgiveness of Christ. In other words, he was giving her the crushing weight of the Law and the sweetness of the Gospel. Homosexuality is not the only sin that he mentioned in that video. He mentioned lust, cheating within the confines of marriage and “sowing your wild oats.” All of these are sins against the sixth commandment, which we as Lutherans confess teaches us that, “We should fear and love God so that we lead a sexually pure and decent life in what we say and do, and husband and wife love and honor each other.”. It is not “hateful” to remind a Lutheran of their catechism in this case, anymore than it is in the case of any of the other commandments.

Here is the full video so that people came see what you edited out…

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=Ou84FMJXCmY

• Florida Jack

“we were appalled to realize that the Lutheran Student Fellowship has endorsed an…anti-choice fear monger.”

“When confronted with this type of hateful and intolerant rhetoric, we have no choice but to voice our disapproval.”

Both are statements of “anti-choice” or “no choice,” so the decision one must make is who actually believes in choice? The Christians who say you don’t have to join us, believe what we believe or the College Democrats whose no choice rhetoric expels a person’s dignity based on their beliefs.

If dignity is owed to all, like to the LGBTQ+ community, then why not the same to those even to whom you disagree? Can you imagine if at every LGBTQ+ event or gathering there were Christians protesting? It doesn’t happen, because Christians at least respect someone who disagrees with them, they don’t protest them, they love them. That is how they convert people, by real love, not some love masked in protest.

Imagine someone you know who loves you dearly, how would you feel if they suddenly said to you that they would show their love you by protesting you? Christians by-and-large don’t protest people, call them names, or label individuals (which is why I’m surprised this is being called a protest of love). Christians protest ideals that are disagreeable to their faith, yes that will confront individuals, yes that will hurt peoples feelings, but the true Christians don’t mock, belittle, or hate anyone. It’s against their religion.

A religion of hate calls for diversity, just not a diversity of thought. Ask yourself, where is all the hateful retaliation you would expect from a true monger of phobias and fear? Crickets.